Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    COflute Guest

Default Britax combo seats: am I missing something?

Last night DH and I went to BRU to get our 3 1/2 year old a new car seat. He is 32 pounds, 39 inches, mostly in the torso. We have had a Britax Roundabout and love it; it will go to our 3 month old when he is big enough. We had pretty much decided on a Britax (Marathon or Wizard, BRU didn't have the Husky); we were going to determine which model after we sat our son in each and saw how he fit. It took him less than 30 seconds to discover that he could, once strapped in, lift up on the latch and loosen his straps. Leaning forward, he could loosen the straps even more. DH and I were stunned that there was such an obvious design flaw and asked a store employee if there was something we were missing. Apparently this was how the seat was supposed to work. Am I missing something? Is it truly possible that this combo seat is that easy for kids to loosen? If so, I need more options; my son is rapidly needing a larger seat. He will likely hit 40 inches in the next month or so, while probably not hitting 40 pounds until kindergarten. Suggestions??? Thanks.

Default RE: Britax combo seats: am I missing something?

Well, at three and a half, he's old enough to understand not to loosen his harness while the car is in motion...or isn't he? (All kids mature at different ages, of course...my boy was slower at these sorts of things than my girl, that's for sure!)
    The problem is, if the adjuster is set lower, then it would be impossible to reach when the seat is rearfacing.
    Tell him not to touch it, and if he does, some parents have come up with creative ways to put the strap under the cover and/or pin/sew the cover down so they can't get to the flap.
    Another option that might work better if you feel he can't simply be taught not to mess with it, is the Graco Platinum Cargo or Evenflo Chase, that have more difficult adjusters and taller top slots to take him to 40 pounds.
    I'm not saying you are alone with this concern, lots of kids do figure it out too young, but it's not a huge huge problem for older kids, usually...I'd be at a loss if my dd couldn't reach hers...she takes care of all her own harnessing better and faster than I can, even, lol.
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

COflute Guest

I think I'll go with a Britax in the end. We like the idea of our son eventually doing his own straps, as he'll likely be in this seat for quite awhile. The challenge, of course, will be keeping Curious George in Sneakers from undoing them! ;) I like the idea of using a safety pin to close the flap. Thanks for the advice!

Jen

Oh, funnily enough, last week, after you posted this, I got to install a seat for a little curious georgette, and her mom made a big point of folding up and tucking that strap away under the cover. Maybe if he never even sees that strap again, he'll forget it? :D

COflute Guest

LOL!!! Not much gets past him!!! But I think we can make it work. I know Britax makes good seats, and from what I have gathered from this forum, either the Wizard or Marathon will work. Too bad I can't get a look at the Husky at BRU.

Jen

Does your town have any "good" baby stores? They usually carry Huskies (though I'm never surprised to hear that there really ISN"T a Husky anywhere within a 200 mile radius of some places :P )

COflute Guest

I'm sure there is...I live outside Denver, so I'm sure there's something there or in Boulder. I'm just so used to driving over to Babies R Us. I think I'll do some checking around; I'd like to at least see a Husky before I decide what to get.

Jen

COflute Guest

I found a Husky, bought it, and had it installed today. I love it, just glad I don't have to drag it through an airport any time soon, the thing weighs a ton! Thanks for your help!

Jen

Oh cool, I hope you love it! Ugh, don't bother trying to travel with it...just hold off till your ds is old enough to sit in a booster seat and bring that instead!
    :)

COflute Guest

LOL! I'd hold off, but we're flying to Chicago for the holidays this winter and I'm going to need it while we're there! For the plane he'll either go without or I may try to find a backless booster for him to use on the plane. I'll probalby go without; one less thing to have to drag through security.

Jen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast