Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vent

Default RE: Vent

Unfortunately, poorly educated (in regards to carseat/booster safety) seems to be the norm no matter where you go. I had a co-worker say that she had to take her nephew out of the carseat on a long trip because he was crying and didn't want to stay in. They continued driving with the baby in her lap!

Didn't they ever hear of pulling over and taking a break. My DH and I have taken long road trips with our DS and we have to pull over and let him run around every couple of hours. It takes twice as long to get there but everyone is safe and happier!

I also notice my boss who has 2 boys, ages 4 and 6 doesn't bother to use a booster. She's one of our VPs...obviously and intelligent and educated person. Needless to say I didn't feel comfortable to say anything.

I have however loaned my copy of Baby Bargains to some of the new moms that work for me. Hopefully, they will read it!

Michelle

Hi, just saw this--how are you doing? Any rumblings? My due date is fast approaching and I've got a feeling I'm going to be late! :-)
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

Mommylena Guest

I totally agree with you. People make fun of me because I have my seat professionally installed and have it checked every 4 mos or so. I also got Britax Roundabouts for both of our cars when our daughter outgrew her infant seat. Some people were like "Are you nuts spending $240 on a carseat?" I replied, "No, are YOU nuts for paying $350 for a crib bedding set that you cant use for fear of SIDS and buying a $50 carseat that could protect your child?" It's appaling. Our car dealer told us people will come in and spend $50,000 on a new SUV but when he reccommends the roundabout, they tell him they don't want to spend over $100. Prioritys are screwed up all right. And even "responsible" people I know DO NOT strap their children in right. If they were in an accident, I shudder to think of what could happen. These are the same people that you'd see balling their eyes out on the evening news if their child, God forbid, was hurt or killed in an accident. Like our installer says "If you knew today was the day you are going to be in an accident, you would make sure you strapped your child in right. So everyday, when you put your child in the seat, say "Today is the day we are going to get in an accident." Because you never know when you will."

I am so glad to hear I am not the only car seat nuts person out there. And I have many reasons to be. When people make fun of my purchase of 2 Britax Marathons because we have two cars, my professionally installed carseats, my obsession with having DD properly buckled up at all times, and most especially the fact that their children cannot ride in my car unless they are properly buckled up I tell them this story. In 2001 my 4 year old niece was riding in my car in a properly installed booster seat, I was hit head on by a man who fell asleep at the wheel, my niece was killed instantly. The coroner said her death was unavoidable because of the speed of the impact. I was going 45 who the hell knows how fast he was going... The only way I can sleep at night is knowing that I did everything to protect her, the only way my brother and sister in law live with her death is that I did everything right. I cannot imagine having to face life knowing I had done something to cause her death. This happened 4 years ago and to this day everytime I see a child incorrectly buckled in I tell the parents something, it just makes me feel better. Sometimes I get nasty looks but I really don't care...

Jane
    Madeline's Mom
    1/20/03

Mommylena Guest

Dear God, Jane... I'm so, so terribly sorry for your loss. I can't begin to imagine what you or your family have gone through. I am the same way about car seat saftey. I just don't understand how anyone could not be. People fret about so many things that will probably never happen to their children, but injuries and fatalities in car crashes, as you sadly know, are far too common. So you know what, I am with you, we have to do all we can. As my husband said, "We get the safest seat we can, we got a van with a 5 star safety rating, we have the seats professionally installed, we make sure she's in secure every time and the rest, is up to God." I too have been ridiuled by friends and family for being "rediculous." I find it funny how people don't find it odd to spend $230 on a Pooh Crib Bedding set that the child will prob never use and will get 1 year use of tops, but spending $230 on a car seat is considered nuts. Go figure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2