Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    cmfurness Guest

Default Basic booster for travel

Hi,

I have a 5 and a half y.o. and 4 y.o. that are both in combination seats (Graco or Century-ish) because they are less than 40 lbs. and are both in a 5-point harness. I also have a 22 month old in a Britax Roundabout. We are flying soon and tired of packing three full car seats.

What do you think of those boosters that are just a seat (with no back or sides)? Are they unsafe? My 5 and a half y.o. is probably close to 40 lbs.

Thanks.

Default RE: Basic booster for travel

I personally love the Strolee McKinley (used to be the Nania Polo) for travel with my little kiddos...it's super-duper light and small and fits in the overhead compartment, and starts at 33 pounds.
    Granted, it's not stellar side-impact protection, but I usually justify it by saying the risk is less if they spend less time in a seat like that (for everyday travel we have the Husky, Marathon, or Parkway for my 7 and 5 yos)

OR...you can get Turbo Boosters for when they outgrow the seats they are in, but backless they start at 40 pounds.

OR...the Cosco Ambassador is quite light, but not as compact as the McKinley, and starts at 30 pounds and is $15 at Walmart

OR...The Compass B500 is a quite nice booster that folds in half and you can put in the overhead compartment.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

jmac588 Guest

So I can use my Graco Turbobooster without the back? My DS is over 40lbs and we are traveling tomorrow and I can't seem to fit both pieces into any bag I currently own. I would love to take just the bottom but didn't know if that was safe. We are going to Disney and only using the car from airport to resort and then to the parking lots at each park and back to the airport.

Otherwise, can I gate check the carseat like I would for a stroller? I guess I can try to put it in an overhead compartment but I think I'll have enough bags to worry about keeping track of on the plane.

Yeah, just bring the base on as carry-on and stick it in the overhead, so it doesn't get lost (it also makes super-fun gate entertainment...she can sit on it and be luckier than you to have her own cupholder while waiting, lol).
    She's heavy enough to use it backless, and probably won't be in the car long enough to sleep, I bet!

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx