klkmomof3 Guest

Default Seating 3 Kids Under 5 Yrs, in Honda CRV/Side Curtain Airbags

I have 3 kids; 9 mos. (using RA), 2.75 yrs (using FP Grow w/ Me) and almost 5 yrs (using Graco Turbo Booster). My Dodge Caravan lease is up and I'm considering the Honda CRV. I've read that the side-curtain airbags can be very harmful for children...should I make sure my vehicle is NOT equipped with them? I was thinking of replacing the Turbo Booster with the Body Guard, for the added side-impact protection. Plus, I'm not sure if all three seats will even fit in the CRV. Any thoughts?

-Kim, Mom of 3

Default RE: Seating 3 Kids Under 5 Yrs, in Honda CRV/Side Curtain Airbags

Side curtain airbags are fine, really. It's just the older side door mounted bags that were untested and turned out to be dangerous for children. With the curtain airbags, you just need to make sure no one ever takes a nap with their head on the window, lest the airbag deploy and crush the head downward.

The CR-V is ok, but I can assure you, you will be utterly miserable trying to stick three kids across...Everyone I know who's tried it has been thrilled to get something bigger, lol (try it...put all your kids on one bench for awhile and see how it goes...)

Maybe a Honda Pilot? I know for sure if you WANT to put all three kids on one row, it's wide enough, but if you want to split them up, you at least CAN (and even bring a friend along from time to time...they are getting to that age where bringing friends along is going to be big fun :) )

Anyway, some nice narrow seats (Roundabout, Touriva, Graco Platinum Cargo...those are narrow...and the Britax Parkway has no armrests to hinder buckling) probably would fit, but it gets harder and harder to do as they grow their way up to booster seats.

I'm trying not to be a downer, I love the CR-V...even had a 1999 for 4 years!...but three across was really a chore :P

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

klkmomof3 Guest

Unfortunately, I can't afford to buy or lease a mid-sized SUV, as much as I'd love one. I wonder if there is another safe/reliable small-sized SUV with a bit more room in the rear seating area? The CRV seemed wider in the back than the Toyota RAV4. The Subuaru Forester was another that rated well in the small-size SUV category. At this point, it's not so much about having a choice of seating, but a necessity to be able to simply fit them all in the same vehicle! LOL

The Britax Parkway has no armrests, but measures 3 inches wider than the Body Guard (according to the Britax website). Would you still recommend the Parkway over the Body Guard? I read great reviews on the Body Guard (because of the locking clips which keep the seat in place) versus so-so reviews on the Parkway (mainly because it tips over a lot when the child get in/out of the seat). The armrests on the Body Guard look uncomfortable anyway.

Thank you for your insight and suggestions. You surely are a great wealth of knowledge!

Ah, ok...yeah, I hear you on the money thing (I have to drive a 1996 Ford Aspire for a commuter car...I'm sure that's a bit safer on the freeway than, say a Moped...lol).

We've owned both the Parkway and the Bodyguard, and if you want a good deal on a Fiesta Bodyguard, email me, it's yours for a bargain ;). We far prefer our Parkways...more cushy, bigger headrests, no lockoffs. Though read down a bit, I was the biggest Bodyguard fan in the world, lol.

I've put, in an older Kia sportage, a Marathon in the middle, a Bodyguard on one side, and a Starriser Comfy on the other (a second BG wasn't going to fit on that other side, we tried and tried)

I'd also recommend a large sedan...but the big ones are all American cars, and I'm more fonda honda, personally, just for reliability factors, but there's nothing you can't fit in an Impala :)

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

klkmomof3 Guest

Thank you for the offer on the Fiesta Bodyguard...I think I'm leaning towards the Parkway (if I can get it to fit).

I briefly considered the large sedans, but would prefer the 4WD of a SUV. I agree about the reliability factor as well.

Thank you again for your suggestions and advice. You've been very helpful.

Sincerely,
    Kim