abigailsmom Guest

Default What to do about a booster versus a carseat with a higher weight limit?

I have a almost 3 year old that weighs 34 lbs and is quite a growing girl. I wanted to start doing research to replace her Evenflo Triumph and Graco ComfortSport. I think that she is still ok in the Graco, but I am afraid that she is getting too tall for the Evenflo.

I wanted to find something that will be safe and secure for her. We regularly take 3-ish hour trips so I would like something that is comfortable for her as well.

I really am unsure of the differences or pros/cons of the available options. I have heard of stuff like the Graco TurboBooster, but I want to find the most bang for her safety not *just* the most bang for my buck.

If anyone wants to enlighten me PLEASE do!! I would really appreciate any hints, information or anything that you have to offer.

Thanks in advance,

Robyn
    Mama to the most wonderful thing that has ever happened to me, Abigail

Default RE: What to do about a booster versus a carseat with a higher weight limit?

The harness slots are lower on the comfortsport than the Triumph, actually...it's those shoulders you have to worry about, not getting higher than the top slots.

She's not very heavy, so a taller top slot harness seat, like the Graco Ultra or Platinum Cargo, or the Evenflo Chase or Traditions or Generations are all good choices. They harness to 40 pounds (might be as long as 2 years before she's 40 pounds) and have top slots about 17 inches high (about 2 inches higher than the triumph, 2.5 inches higher than the comfortsport). The Britax Marathon also has top slots about 17.5 inches, and I got one for my dd when she was three...now she's 5.5 and still has at least 6 months before she outgrows it http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/FFAlbum/Sarah.aspx Of course, it costs twice as much and doesn't become a booster...but it can't be beat for quality and ease of use. The Husky is also a great, but big choice...would keep her harnessed till about age 9, when it expires at the end of it's 6 year lifespan (I have one of those, too, but I think a 3 yo looks so small in one! my 7 yo likes it fine, though).

Anyway, you have a few options to consider, and check her shoulders in her current seats to make sure you really need something taller right away or if you can shop around for a good sale.

Booster seat? No...I really wouln't put such a tiny kiddo in a booster without a harness...keep her harnessed another couple years, it's just so much safer.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

abigailsmom Guest

Default RE: What to do about a booster versus a carseat with a higher weight limit?

Thank you so much. I wasn't at all excited about putting her in a plain booster so... the information helped SOOOO much. I will be sure to check her shoulder height in both seats.

Thanks again!

Robyn