JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Graco Cargo vs. Britax Marathon

DS is outgrowing his convertible seats heightwise (has already outgrown the ComfortSport and is getting close on the Touriva and RA, though the RA should last a good while yet). I am planning on getting a Graco Cargo (probably Cherished since that is what I can find locally) for MIL's car who will need it once a week or less. But for DH's car, I am wondering if I should go with another Cargo or a Marathon? I really don't think DS is going to reach 40 lbs. anytime soon (I don't think he is even 30 lbs. yet, but I'm not 100% sure) so height limits rather than weight limits are more a factor for me at this point. I would like to keep him harnessed as long as possible in both my and DH's car. So I guess my question is, which has higher top harness slots - the Cargo or the Marathon? Thanks!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Default RE: Graco Cargo vs. Britax Marathon

Hi :) Long time no see :)
    The Marathon does have slightly taller top slots. But, my 5 yo a few months ago still had room to grow in the Cargo, and was only 37 pounds, so when you say, "harnessed as long as possible" do you mean 5 or 6 or 10? ;) I haven't tried her in a Cargo again, and she's almost 6 now, and almost at the top slots in her Marathon... I would have felt comfortable enough to put her in a booster even a whole year ago, if she had the Cargo and had outgrown it :)

Also, you might look at the Evenflo Generations or Bolero, as the top slots in it are quite high, and it has open belt guides for use as a booster, so you might like it for long-term use a little better than the Cargo... just something to consider.

Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Thanks Julie! I haven't had any car seat needs in a while so I haven't hit the car seat forums too much lately! I would say harnessed until 5 would be good, so it sounds like either choice (or one of the Evenflos) for DH's car would be ok. I will definitely go with the Marathon in my car when he outgrows the RA. I will definitely check out the Evenflo seats for MIL's car, I haven't bought the Cargo yet, but I have seen you recommend them a number of times so that is why I was planning on getting one. Thanks for the recommendations!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Joni Guest

Depending on the money you want to spend since it's going in a car that he only rides in occassionally, you may even want to look into an Evenflo Chase/Vision/Tradition since they run a little cheaper but have the same harness height. They do work as BPB later but not as good but if its only once a week it could save you $40-$50 since at our Kmart right now the Vision (I think) is only $50. The Bolero and other Evenflo seats turn into a "growing" BPB so they are worth the extra if you'll be using them a lot but for once a week trips, the cheaper model might suffice.

Joni CPST

Thanks for the input Joni. I think I will stick to one I know will work better as a BPB later, so MIL won't have too much trouble with it down the road. Hopefully this is the last seat I have to buy for MIL's car!

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02