Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Need help with selecting a booster carseat ASAP

I was going to say, "get the volvo booster", but you're way ahead of me! I hope Graco or Britax are able to give you an answer about the gap between the seatbacks..those seats are the only ones (besides recaro) that have decent sleeping headwings (the Compass B500 or Evenflo Big Kid really have fairly poor sleeping-wings, and rather poor SIP, but of course, you are loaded with side curtains to take care of that!).
    I don't know if www.dreamwings.com are still available anywhere, but they work fairly well for sleeping, and can be used with a backless booster, maybe even in your integrated booster (which IS very safe, if she sits properly in it and finds it comfortable, I think some kids don't find it very comfortable, it must really depend on the kid).

I'm sorry you're having to go through this...I find it so surprising that Volvo virtually ignores such a large segment of it's customers (4-12 year olds who should be in booster seats!)(you really can't even really put a Marathon in there forward facing, because those headrests push it WAY upright)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 2 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

kate4478 Guest

I had the same problem with my Chevy Tahoe. What I did was folded the seat down, and the headrest folds back behind the seat,and when I raise the seat the headrest stays folded back as long as I don't raise it myself. That way my Graco Turbo Booster sits flat agains the seat and the headrest stays back. I have to do the same thing for the Britax Marathon. This might help for you! Kate

girlsmom Guest

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and advice!! I truly appreciate it!

Kate - Unfortunately, my headrests only flip forward when folding the seat down, which would only cause more of an interference for a BPB. Nice thought though.

Julie - Thanks for the info on Dreamwings. I will look into that. Will using a U-shaped neck pillow have the same effect? My DD hasn't complained about comfort using the integrated booster over the past two weeks, but she does tend to put her feet up on the seat ledge directly in front of the booster cushion. This causes her knees to be up by her chest, which I don't think is very good in case of an accident. I'm having to remind her often to put her feet down.

I spoke with Britax, Graco and two local CPS Techs this week. The rep at Britax was actually a CPA Tech and stated that the PW needs to sit flush against the seat back since there is nothing securing it to the vehicle seat other than the car seatbelt (unlike the RA or Marathon). Graco said the same thing. (Sorry, Heather!)

A CPS Tech at my local AAA office suggested trying the Britax Bodyguard since she thought that the booster seat back was adjustable independent of the head support which may allow a flush fit. She was unaware that the Bodyguard was discontinued last year along with the Starriser. I confirmed with Britax that the Bodyguard seat back is adjustable, BUT the head support moves along with it just like the PW and therefore, wouldn't work in my car. Her only other suggestion was going with a backless booster. She was really appreciative of the information I provided and thought that I helped her more than she helped me.

A CPS Tech at my local police dept hadn't encountered this problem. She was going to check with a more seasoned CPS Tech in her office that actually teachs the courses and hopes to get back to me next week. If she has any successful solutions, I will post them.

I also contacted Volvo HQ regarding their headrest design and informed of my problem of locating a BPB that would fit my car. They, of course, suggested their own booster, but couldn't tell me if it fit in any non-Volvo cars or if the headsupport has EPS foam in it. The rep only took down my complaint after I requested it. Shhheeesh!

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, I see my only viable option as going backless. I'm thinking of re-purchasing the Graco TB that I returned and using it backless in my car and with the highback in my DH's car and all other cars she may ride in.

~Annie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2