Default When can I use a booser seat?

I have a 2 1/2 year old and 3 month old. I was hoping to switch my oldest from her Britax Roundabout to a booster seat when my baby outgrows his infant carrier so I can use the Roundabout for the baby. Of course I will only do this if it's legal and safe. What kind of booster seats are out there and how soon can I use it with my toddler?

Scatterbunny Guest

Default RE: When can I use a booser seat?

Children need to remain harnessed until at least 40 pounds AND 4 years old, longer is safer. Children younger than 4 (and even some older than 4) are not mature enough to stay seated properly at all times using the vehicle lap+shoulderbelt and tend to wiggle around and/or move out of position. This is not safe because the belts cannot do their job if the child is not properly in position.

Think of it this way: when a child is in a harnessed seat, the responsibility of that child being properly secured and safe belongs to the parent. When a child moves to a belt positioning booster seat that uses the vehicle lap+shoulderbelt over the child, the responsibility of being properly secured and safe is shifted to the child. Can your child handle that responsibility? Remember that we cannot choose the time a crash occurs.

Actually, I was thinking about a high-backed booster seat with a 5-pt harness.

How much does your ds weigh?

That will help us find you a seat.

Ilana

http://lilypie.com/pic/060218/pBEG.jpg[/img][/url]

sometimes we tend to assume the worst... we've seen people do it.

how much does your child weigh and where are the shoulders in relation to the top slots of his Roundabout?

Scatterbunny Guest

>Actually, I was thinking about a high-backed booster seat
    >with a 5-pt harness.

Sorry--when someone says "booster" I immediately think of a belt positioning booster, no harness. Generally a harnessed seat that converts to a booster is called a "combination seat".

The Graco Ultra or Platinum CarGo and the Evenflo Bolero/Generations are good choices, so is the Recaro Young Sport. These seats have tall top slots, so kids have a better chance of making it to 40 pounds before getting too tall for the harness. The Bolero/Generations and Young Sport make good long-term boosters when the harness is outgrown, the CarGo does not. The CarGo and Young Sport have EPS foam, the Bolero/Generations does not.