kedss is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default next carseat/booster

Hi Ladies-

We are trying to figure out what to get next, DS is 32+ lbs and about 38 inches tall. We would like to getr something that would work to 80-100 lbs. Our difficulty is that at this point we don't have a car and the cars we use when we put DS in a car are usually older than 2000, usually we use a '92 Honda station wagon or a Passat station wagon.

We have liked the Safeguard but that won't work for us because we use older cars. And we are hoping for something not outrageously large and heavy snce we usually have to remove it from the car after we are done.

I hope this makes sense!
    TIA!

Kate
    mom to C, 12/03, H, 06/08 and R, 4/11

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

j4m4d8 Guest

Default RE: next carseat/booster

I'm a little confused. What car seat is he in now? Has he outgrown it or is it too difficult to move around?

we still use an evenflo--I think its the Triumph. We are just starting to look for the next carseat/booster and wondering where to start. Thanks. :)

Kate

"When a woman says "What?" It's not because she didn't hear you. Its because she's giving you a chance to change what you said." ~Author Unknown(posting on FB)

"Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing up is like shoveling the walk before it stops snowing." ~Phyllis Diller

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

What's his seated height (from bum to top of shoulders)? Are his shoulders at or above the top harness slots of his current seat? If they are still below the top harness slots then he can use this seat until they are even with, or until he reaches the 40lb weight limit, whichever comes first. If his shoulders are already above the top harness slots then he needs a new harnessed seat asap.

He shouldn't be in a belt positioning booster until he's at least 4yrs & 40lbs. If he's going to outgrow his current seat before that then I would recommend a Britax Marathon or Boulevard, which will keep him harnessed for quite a while, and has nice features like seatbelt lockoffs (great for cars w/out LATCH). It has a 65lb weight limit and the top harness slots are about 18". My ds is almost 39" tall and still has a couple of inches to go before he outgrows the harness on his Britax Boulevard (same size shell/weight limit as the MA). The downside to these seats is that they are fairly heavy, but they are made to be easy to install so that might be the way to go.

Another (lighter) option is the Evenflo Generations/Bolero, which harnesses to only 40lbs, but then converts to a booster seat after the harness is outgrown. It makes a nice bpb since the headrest adjusts to accomodate children to 57". The harness slots are as high as the Britax MA/DC/BV seats.

hth.

thanks for the help. :) It will probably take a while for him to get to 40 lbs. He's about 38 inches right now, but I think another growth spurt is coming...sigh.

Kate