MonsterMom6 Guest

Default Cosco HIghback Summit Eddie Bauer

Any comments on this seat?

Three of my quadruplets are just about at the top strap limit on their Roundabouts. The other will likely be there near the end of the summer if she keeps eating like she is. Only one is over 30# and just barely. They will be 4 in July and I want to keep them in a 5-point harness. I don't want to buy BPB in 1 - 1.5 years for them. So I thought this seat would have most of what I'm looking for...

-Harness to get us through the next 1 - 1.5 years (3 of them are built like my DS, who is 5.5, 38#, and at the strap limit on a Graco My Cargo). I expect those 3 to track closely with his growth curve. The other is a bit shorter, but catching up.

-Decent belt guide for BPB (I bought cheap My Cargo right before the recommendations came out for a looser guide and I find that one to be a PIA anyway)

-Nice and cushie seat- my cheap My Cargo is OK for around town, but way too hard for a road trip. We'll keep those for Daddy's car.

-We have a full-sized conversion van with captain's chairs and one bench seat, so width is not a major consideration.

-Since I'm buying 4 (plus a new BPB for my DS) cost is a factor.

Anyone comments from real users would be greatly appreciated, or other suggestions. I did speak with a customer service rep at Dorel Juvenile Products to figure out the differences across their brands- Cosco, Eddie Bauer, etc, and she said they were essentially the same. The shell is the same, so really it comes down to fabric. She said that an Eddie Bauer "may" be a bit cushier, but not enough to be noticeable.

TIA!

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Cosco HIghback Summit Eddie Bauer

I *think* it has very low slot heights.

Here's a chart http://www.carseatdata.org/csnumbers.html, which lists it at 15", which means its shorter than your RA's. There may be some play in those numbers, but its a good guide. Something to look at when you see one in person.

Have you looked into the Evenflo Bolero/Generations? Its a combo harnessed to booster. 40 lbs max on the harness. The Bolero is a bit more basic (less pillows, no recline, fluff stuff) and is at Kmart for $80 or so. The Generations is at Target for $110 or so. It has an open belt path for later when its a booster. Its attractive, has arm rests (which the kids seem to like), etc.

Safety 1st Prospect was mentioned over on the baby board, I don't know anything about it, but Splash knows her stuff. :) Something to look into.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...id=42831&page=

HTH

MonsterMom6 Guest

Thank you. You know, I've measured every top slot in every car seat I can find in the store but hadn't measured the RAs I already have. I went out to my van and measured the RAs and you are right. Now I'm starting all over again. UGH.

I don't like the strap tightener on the Evenflo seats- it's right near the chest clip, at least the models that I recall seeing.

One thing the Dorel (Cosco) rep told me is that the Summits manufactured before August 2005 are shorter than those manufactured after August 2005 (don't know about the ones actually mfg IN 8/05). She said it was a change required by new government regulations. So the newer ones are rated at 40# and 43"; the older ones are rated at 40# and 40".

I did play with a Prospect at WM tonight while I was running another errand. It kind of looks like a Junior Apex, at least what I recall from glancing at the Apex. I *think* the top slot was 15" or 16", but it was hard to play with b/c they had it attached to the shelf.

Well, I think I have to take my biggest DD to BRU and plop her into some seats and go from there. Thanks for the information. I'll try to update once make a decision.

Donna

>I don't like the strap tightener on the Evenflo seats- it's
    >right near the chest clip, at least the models that I recall
    >seeing.

As far as I know, the Bolero has the knob system down on the seat (bottom/side) like the Triumph has. I don't there's anything near the chest clip... It is a love it or hate it system though. I don't know enough about it to comment. ;)

>One thing the Dorel (Cosco) rep told me is that the Summits
    >manufactured before August 2005 are shorter than those
    >manufactured after August 2005 (don't know about the ones
    >actually mfg IN 8/05). She said it was a change required by
    >new government regulations. So the newer ones are rated at
    >40# and 43"; the older ones are rated at 40# and 40".

That is good to know. Do report back if they are higher!!

Will the Apex work? I've heard conflicting reports about its slot heights, but its at least as tall as a MA, and I've heard its a lot higher.... There's that pesky headrest rule though. ;)

I know you don't like the closed Graco booster guide, but it is a nice harnessed seat. (There are several "levels" of cushiness.) And, you don't have to use the guides. By the time your kids get to 40, they should be old enough to not need the "help" the guide offers.

MonsterMom6 Guest

Ok, now I'm even more frustrated...

I had one DD at a doc appt so we popped into BRU to actually try on a couple of seats. She is not my tallest, but figured I'd get a good idea of what might work.

The Eddie Bauer Summit Tech- she had a small amount of growing room on the 2nd highest strap level. She had a good 2" to grow for the highest strap level.

Evenflo Generations- same thing, but not sure I like the side tightening thingie (the love it or hate it one).

Apex 65- lots of growing room, but I'm not so sure about the belt positioner.

Then I put her in a RA and sure enough, she has no room to grow.

So now I'm more confused b/c I've learned that they all (except the Apex) have the same strap height. I had the BRU guy find me a tape measure and we both measured the EB Summit, Roundabout, Evenflo Generations and they all measured 15" from seat to top strap. We concluded that it had to do with level of padding and contour of the seat as to how the child actually sits in the seat.

Then I measured the Graco Platinum Cargo. We have a very basic version of this, with almost no padding. Mine measures 17" seat to top strap and this was 16" or 16.5", which I attribute the extra padding in the seat.

I also double checked the mfg date of the demo EB Summit Tech, thinking maybe there is something up with the August 05 date (which the Cosco rep explained to me and mentioned above in this thread). The demo was mfg January 05, so well before the change to the higher total height requirement that took place beginning August 05. But the BRU guy assured me that with their turnover anything they have in stock would be newer than August 05.

So I'm going to take DH and the entire critter squad shopping. Put them all (not DH) in car seats, because they will all insist, and see what fits my biggest one the best. Since DH works too many hours during the week, this will, of course, happen on a Saturday while the store is busy with all the "going to a baby shower" last minute shoppers. This, I'm sure will be a "delightful" shopping experience with four 3 year olds and a 5 year old.

OH, and I WAS thinking, I'll just buy Graco Platinum Cargos now, then buy BPB in 1.5 - 2 years, not using the belt clips on the Graco. But DD rode in our cheap Graco on the way home and she fell asleep, with her little head cocked to one side and falling forward. It hurt my neck just to see her that way.

I will definitely update with what I've decided. Thankfully I can put 3 of my DDs (who are at the RA limit) into the 3 cheap Gracos that I have until I decide what to do long-term. Unfortunately my shorter DD will have a fit over having to stay in the RA, but that's another story.

Thanks for listening....and thanks for the advice.

Hmm, I thought the Generations was more on par with an MA height-wise, not an RA. Did you turn it around and make sure you were measuring the top slots? They are kinda hidden by the headrest when looking from the front.....

Maybe jump over to the baby board, there's more traffic over there. And, I know someone would be able to tell you which is the tallest, etc.

Its so complicated on some of these seats, what with the padding and moveable headrests.....

I just need to say, FOUR three year olds?? Wow. My one three year old and her 22 month old brother is about more than I can handle some days! :) You sooooooo don't need this hassle. Really, jump over to the baby board and ask there.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...opics&forum=13

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I have an Evenflo Bolero which is basically a Generations and a Britax Blvd and both harness to the same height (17.5" top slots). Maybe when you measured the Generations the headrest wasn't moved up all the way? My ds's torso is 15" and he wouldn't be able to use this seat if that measurement you took were correct! My Bolero also has the knob adjusters for the harness down by the bottom of the seat. One thing I think is nice about this is it seems like it would be hard for kiddo to loosen it while sitting in the seat (a problem some parents have so I thought I would mention it).

Oh and about the Cosco Summit -- I think the very top "slot" for harnessing is actually the 2nd from top slot if I remember correctly. I believe they are made like the A/O's and EB 3-in-1's in that the very top slot is not reinforced and is only meant to move the headrest up for BPB mode. Check the owners manual for sure on that. There might be something printed or embossed on the side of the seat as well, but it could be hard to see. Just thought you'd want to check that before you buy!

Hope your shopping experience goes ok. Too bad you can't just take the biggest of the three and leave your other three with a trusted relative. That would at least make shopping a little less hectic for you, I'm sure!

Cheryl
    ds-4/03

Thanks for posting this! I was sure the Bolero was taller than an RA, but didn't have one at my disposal to measure.

How do you like the Bolero?

I have a Bolero. It is pretty nice, but I haven't gotten used to the knobs yet. They are like the Triumphs. It doesn't have a recline. The Generations does but it is only about an inch so I don't see how it would make much difference! But the Gen. has nicer padding. If the vehicle seat reclines a bit, that helps.

I have to laugh that they named it the "Summit" when it has such low harness slots! I'm curious to know how high the slots are now. I emailed them about it about a year ago (maybe more) and they said they had no plans to change it!

the top most position for the bar on the Summit is not for the straps... it is only for booster mode (to raise the headrest for booster mode)

you have to raise the headrest on the Bolero/Generations to see the top slots.

Kat