Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bearhut Guest

Default Need New Car Seat Quick!

Hi,

My husband just called to say that he was in an accident and his car is probably totaled. Thankfully, there were no injuries and my DC was home with me at the time. So now we are in the market for a new car and a new car seat. I knew we were going to need a new seat soon, but haven't even started the research yet.

My DC is 2 1/2 and is 39" tall weighing about 34 pounds. In my car we have a Britax Wizard that we LOVE. This is the car that she is in about 85% of the time. We had a Graco Seat in my husbands car that only went to 40" for height. So now what? I'd like something that will last for a while, but she is no where near ready for a booster. Since this is not the primary vehicle I'd rather not spend the $300 that we spent on the Wizard, but safety and easy of use is important and we will spend whatever we need.

Thanks so much for the help. I'm off to research online.

Heather

kellyotn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: Need New Car Seat Quick!

A "combo" seat would be good. It will harness up to a certain weight, then can be used as a booster.

A good 40 lbs seat is the Evenflo Generations/Bolero. The Bolero is a bit more basic (the Gen has a very slight recline option and a few removable pillows) and is $80, $65 on sale at some Sears/Kmart stores this week.

Ideally, you want to make it to at least age four before boostering. Given that your child would have 1.5 years to go, I'm not sure a 40 lb max seat would last until 40?? Something to think about.

A better option, if it works in your car, is the Cosco Apex 65/Safety 1st Alpha Elite. They harness to 65 then becomes a nice booster. Its big con is that it cannot be used in some vehicles that have lower seatbacks. When in the Apex, the midpoint of the child's head needs to be at or below the vehicle's seatback or headrest. Basically, the Apex's headrest isn't structural and needs support from the car. I'd tend to lean towards the Apex if it works, because then you'll get to 4 years or older before needing to move into a booster.

Additionally, if you are planning on more children, a new Britax Marathon (or DC/BLVD) could be used now with current DC and later with future DC. Most kids are said to last to 5 or 6 in the big Britaxes, so well into good boostering age for average sized kids. Amazon may still have some really good deals on MA's. It seems to be hit or miss, they go in and out of stock as they are clearing their warehouses.

What kind of vehicle will it be used in?

Bearhut Guest

Thanks so much for your quick response. Unfortunately we have no idea what vehicle it will be going into. Probably a Toyota Sedan, but that's a decision my husband has to make since the Corolla is totalled. I think we will be car shopping this afternoon.

There are no other children in our future so I hate to spend the money on a Marathon when she's only in the seat about once a week for short trips. Does Britax make a seat for older children that may be a little less $$?

Yeah, I'd say a MA is out then.

Britax's Regent would be LOOOOONG lasting. Its a very tall, 80 lb max seat. Overall, its acutally pretty close in size to a MA/WZ. But, it has no base, the seat sits much lower thereby gaining a great deal in slot height. You could have it in DH's car for now, then maybe in your car when she outgrows the WZ (I'd assume she'd be 5 or older) and DH could get a simple booster in his car then.

It would likely fit your child for its full six year lifespan. Pretty good value over that many years!

They are $250, www.babyage.com has some $20 off (Cougar and the blue flowery one.) You can also go thru ebates with www.target.com.

If the Apex works, it would be great too. Its not "Britax quality", but is a nice safe seat. I would think Toyota sedans have headrests. Its the same size as the Regent, FWIW. (ie, pretty big.)

Sorry to hear that his car is totalled! I hope he's not feeling too sore tomorrow!

Fisher Price is making a car seats. I think that they have one that is like a Marathon, but alot less expensive. I can't remember the name of it though. You might try searching Fisher Price to see if you can find it. I hope this helps.
    Melinda---mom to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
    ----------grammy to Trevor, & Katie

I checked it out. It is called Fisher Price Safe Voyage. It is like a Marathon, but harnesses to 55 lbs. instead of 65. I saw it at Albee Baby for $169.00.

As others have pointed out, insurance should cover a new seat, whatever you decide to get.

Some carriers are very good about it, some need to be pestered.

Was the other driver at fault?

Correction, Safe Voyage Deluxe.

Bearhut Guest

Hi,

Thank you all so much. The other driver was at fault and admitted so at the scene. It was a four car collision with my husband as the second (rear ended, then hit the car in front of him). The insurance appraiser just left and told me she never heard that a child car seat had to be replaced after an accident! Um, yes! Hopefully they will cover it, but the most important thing is a safe child.

I'm going to look into the Fisher Price since that seems to be my best bet other than a Britax. Does anyone have any experience with the Fisher Price Safe Voyage seat? Or the Britax Regent?

Again thank you all...

I do not have any experience with the Fisher Price seat. I do, however, have two Britax Husky/Regents.We love them. If insurance would cover one, that would be great. I would definitely check into it. It keeps kids in a five point harness (which I feel is safest) for a long time (80 lbs. or 53 inches). I have a tall 9 year old that still fits in hers. She is just about to outgrow it. My 7 1/2 year old and 6 year old still have plenty of room in this seat. It is a big, sturdy, safe seat in my opinion.
    Melinda---mom to Sarah, Kaylee, Jayci, & Davis
    ----------grammy to Trevor, & Katie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast