eldeld Guest

Default Need backup carseat for 41" 39# 3YO - for travel and 2d car

Hi, my almost 3YO rides in a britax marathon usually and a Graco comfortsport as his backup. He is rapidly outgrowing his Graco and we need to replace it. I originally thought I'd put him in a highback booster ( the Compass B500) - he's very still in the car and very good at listening. He panics if I start the car before he's buckled and I can't remember the last time he slept in the car. BUT... it seems like everyone I consult thinks three is way too young for a booster even as a backup. So I'm back to looking. So far the only ones I've come by that fit the "backup" price range and harness over 40 pounds are the Cosco Apex and the Safeguard Go - and actually, they are honestly a bit over the backup price range I wanted. Anyone have opinions on these or others or thoughts on the Compass/booster? Anyone know of bargains???
    Eva

Default RE: Need backup carseat for 41" 39# 3YO - for travel and 2d car

Yeah, way too young for a booster...maturity notwithstanding, his risk of head injury is higher in a booster (his head is still a large proportion of his body, and that one little shoulderstrap can't hold everything in as well as a 5-pt harness).
    The Apex will last you for years, possibly be the last harness or booster you need in that car (it's a great and big booster, should get him to age 8-9 or so), so I'd look for a bargain on it somehow, if the $130 is too much (Babies R Us might still be having the $10 off any seat over $40 sale?).
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

Devo20 Guest

Eva,

The Apex 65 is on sale at Walmart for $99.84 which is the cheapest I have found. If you can get it at a store it wont be so much depending on your tax. If you have to buy it online you will pay $20 for shipping.

Devorah

eldeld Guest

Thanks - I'm heading to the store!
    Eva