stow1973 Guest

Default booster for my small 4 1/2 year old

Okay my son is 4 1/2 35# and 40 1/2 inches. He's getting close to outgrowing his roundabout (by the strap height). Now I'm wondering where to go next. I would like to keep him harnessed till 40 lbs but don't really want to spend the money on a marathon as it won't covert to a booster. I like the Recaro young sport but it says 40 inches for the harnessed height. Am I wrong the think that if the top harness height is still above his shoulders I can push it past 40 inches? Right now at 40 1/2 he is just below the RA harness and I thought the Recaro was taller. The regent seems like too much for me as he may be 14 before he's 80 lbs at this rate. I also have a 2 year old in another RA but she is very small and I imagine will need it for quite sometime. Help!!!

Default RE: booster for my small 4 1/2 year old

Yeah, that Young Sport height limit is crazy, it really should be more like 45-47 inches (it's a 17 inch harness, and that's a good estimate of when most kids will be out of that size harness, as long as they aren't over 40 pounds, of course. It also converts to a pretty nice booster seat, or you might want to keep using it harnessed with your dd in a couple years and see what's out there in dedicated booters for your ds.
    I guess you are really on the edge of growing out of the RA? The Graco Safeseat 2 is a very nice seat and reasonably priced, and will go to 50 pounds soon, but I'm not sure when (doesn't go to a booster, but has tall top slots and at only $129 might really be worth considering... since it's half the price of the Young Sport, and you'll need two more seats anyway down the road). It only goes to 40 pounds now...but it is britax-esque, lol.

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

stow1973 Guest

So is it considered safe to keep them in the young sport as long as the harness is above their shoulders even if they are greater than 40"?

Yeah, I would personally use a harness as long as my kids shoulders were not higher than the top slots and they didn't exceed the weight limit, no matter how tall they are ;)

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

stow1973 Guest

Well I got the young sport today. I found one in the store at USA baby for 250. My son loves it so far and he fits in it well. Definitely a lot of room with the should height. Thanks for your help.