tdwmom Guest

Default Secondary car seat - Booster v. Harnessed Seat

My son will be 4 in January and is 43" and 40 lbs. His primary seats are a Marathon and a Wizard and we love both seats. In his grandmother's car, he has a Roundabout, which he has now outgrown. My question is, do I get a Parkway for her car or break down and get the Regent?

He is with her once or twice a week but ususally for short trips around town. For longer trips she can use my Marathon. I was leaning toward the Parkway because he is a solid boy and would stay put in a booster. Also, the Parkway is so much easier for her to install and she can take the seat in and out and have back the use of her back seat. However, I am concerned that he will come to prefer the booster and give us trouble in his regular seats (though the harnessed seats look more comfy to me). And of course, I am nervous not having him harnessed since it is so much safer.

You ladies have been such a help to me over the last 3 1/2 years (and 3 car seats) and have always given such great recommendations. I would love your input on this issue. I am having such a hard time deciding. Also, price is not a primary consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Default RE: Secondary car seat - Booster v. Harnessed Seat

If it were me, I would get a Regent. Use the Regent in the car he is in most often. Put the extra Marathon or Wizard in grandmas car. Then, when he outgrows the Marathon/ Wizard, he should be mature enough for a booster. At that point, I would keep him in the Regent in the main car and put him in a good booster in the other two cars. I hope that makes since.
    Melinda - mom to 3 beautiful girls and an awesome boy

Funny little statistic everyone forgets: most crashes happen in short trips around town http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/kids/resear...est/index.html (aimed at kids, but it's great info).
    Personally? If I were sending him with grandma once or twice a month, I might consider a booster, but once or twice a week, I'd go with a harnessed seat (4 in January doesn't fool me, that means he's barely three and a half and his risk of head injury in a booster is still quite high... best to keep kids harnessed till age 5-6, when those spinal bones are ossified and the head is a much smaller proportion of the body).

:)
    Julie CPS Tech and mom to 3 in seats
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum/SarahMA.aspx

tdwmom Guest

Thank you both so much for your promt responses! I am convinced and have ordered my Regent. I cannot wait for it to come in.

Congrats! I hope you love it as much as I love mine.
    Melinda - mom to 3 beautiful girls and an awesome boy