Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    rrstern Guest

Default "stroller for infant and toddler"

I am expecting a second baby in June 2002. My first baby will then be 23 months old. Can anyone recommend a very good double stroller? I know MacClaren makes a double stroller but am wary because it is side to side which makes it seem like it will be difficult to manuever and fit through doors. Are there any things I should keep in mind since I'll have a toddler and an infant rather than twins? Also, I live in LA, so I need something that I can lift in and out of the car without a forklift.
    Thanks, Rebecca

Megieblue Guest

Default RE:

I too am expecting a baby in June 2002 and will have a 23 month old when the new one comes along. And I too live in LA. And I too was thinking about the Maclaren. Someone mentioned the Mountain Buggy (www. mountainbuggy.com)for local trips. She pointed out that with two you don't jump in and out of the car so much and won't need a stroller for that purpose.

hipmaman is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default I have (m)

two kids 21.5 months apart. My dd is 30 months and my ds is 8 months.

I have the Dreamer Design Ditto jogging stroller for outdoor and a Maclaren double. I love them both.

I use the Ditto strictly for outdoor only. I don't normally fold it and only store it in the garage. Sometimes, I would take it to the fair, zoo, etc. in the Volvo sedan, but with all three wheels off. While it is great for outdoor use, it is not a stroller that you would take everywhere.

The Mountain Buggy has some fans and worth checking out. At the time I was looking for a jogger, I didn't know of it existence. But I am quite happy with the Ditto, as I don't take it anywhere but out in the open space, lol.

Now, for the Maclaren... I love how it fits in doors, how easy it is to push and steer (even with one hand), how small it folds (which is great for transporting in the car and travelling by plane),etc. It might be one of the lightest double strollers out there.

With these two strollers, I am set! Hope that helps.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian Child Restraint Safety Technician and Instructor

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: double stroller

My toddler turned 2 a month before her baby sister was born. They are now almost 3 and 1. We bought a Graco DuoGlider Travel System and I LOVE IT!!!! I'm a big fan of travel systems, so that was one of the main factors is choosing this stroller. It maneuvers easily and my girls love it!
    Mommy to Little Jonah born 11-6-2001
    Boy - 10 years, Girl - 6 Years Old!, (What am I still doing here?! LOL) Dog - Eternal Puppy , Me - Done .

Michelle Guest

Default RE: "stroller for infant and toddler"

My younger two are 26 months apart and I am using the Graco Duo Glider - the travel system. I think it's great! I was very hesitant about getting a double stroller, but it is easy to use and not too incredible to get in/out of vehicle. And I am only 5 ft. tall, and a bit of a wimp! Manueverability is very good as well. My ONLY complaints are that even without using the carseat in the back seat, the front seat does not recline and that because I am short, I sometimes have trouble gauging the "clearance" distance in front of me since I can't always see the front end of the stroller. And that if you have a BIG diaper bag, it can be a pain to get it into the under basket.

Hope this helps.
    michelle

bluedevil86 Guest

Default RE: Double stroller for toddler and infant

Which Maclaren double do you have -- Opus Duo or the other one? My son will be 22-months-old when my daughter is born in early June 2002. I was thinking about the Opus Duo for its extra padding for the infant. I'm also looking into the Combi Twin Savvy. Anyone have the Combi who could give me some advice? Lightweight, maneuverability, easy to open and close, and storage are some key features for which I am looking.

Thanks!

LeslieCan Guest

Default RE:

I too was looking for a double that would handle both my 3 yr old and my newborn .... check out the "On the Go" thread on the Baby Bargains board -- search on double stroller and you'll find all kinds of posts. If you want, e-mail me at [email protected] -- I downloaded most of the posts and can send them to you.

Finally, after a couple of months of reading and waffling, I decided on the double Mountain Buggy. I think someone above posted their site, but left off the "usa" part -- it's actually mountainbuggyusa.com. They have a great double that offers a lot of extras. The best thing is that, at less than 29 inches, it isn't very wide for a side by side, so it will go through most doors.

StrollerQueen has done a number of posts on the Mountain Buggy (and doubles in general), you might try a search under her name. I found her insights really helpful! Also, there's the stroller board on Parents Place or iVillage ... you'll probably find info there too.

Good luck -- I know it's a hard decision-making process! :)

~Leslie

gobibaby Guest

Default RE:

I'm looking too. If weight is not an issue, then the Maclaren Twin Traveller seems to be the best. This year's model has the cushy handles and they got rid of the bar across the top you had to lift to fold. But it weighs 26 lbs w/hood and all.

The Combi Twin Savvy weighs only 15 pounds, and is very easy to fold and carry, but the center bar is susceptible to breaking. People say they really love it ---until it's busted...Two of the big baby stores in NY said they stopped carrying it because of all the broken strollers they had to deal with. The Combi has a miserly 3-month warranty, and you have to send your stroller back to the manufacturer, leaving you with two kids and no wheels while they fix it. The portability is tempting, but the potential hassle is not.

I have heard that the Peg Perego Aria Twin is a good alternative. It's only 14 pounds. Does anyone have an Aria?

nminar Guest

Default RE: double stroller - Mountain Buggy

I saw this just the other day, and cut it out for my husband to read. Maybe you should try and contact Trish for more details. From other posts, it seems to me that the Mountain Buggies can do double/triple duty: good for short trips to the mall, good for going to the park, good for jogging . . . Why buy more than one when one can do everything that you will need? Plus it is (Trish says) easy to fold/open, light enough to carry with one hand, fits through doors and shopping aisles, etc. Sounds like what you are looking for. Not due until late October, so we have time to go and take a look at one in person, but they look nice; I like the purple/grape color. (there are two web sites: www.mountainbuggy.com and www.mountainbuggyusa.com. I think the "usa".com is the local distributor.)

Natalie

= = = = from Trish = = = =

Mountain Buggy Review:
    Well, after weeks of waiting, I finally got to test out a Mountain Buggy Double Terrain and Urban Single here at my home today. I actually met with John, one of the engineer/designers of the Mountain Buggy. It was definitely worth the wait. My DH who is also an engineer even got involved and basically told me to order the Urban Double!
    Forget all other strollers!

Where do I begin? It's narrow enough that it went easily through my front door, which is a standard size, with much room to spare. Super easy to put it together. John actually brought it how I would receive it which is basically without the wheels attached. That's it. Folds incredibly flat and easy. It could fit in the trunk of almost any size car, maybe not a small sports car but it could also fit in the back seat if you don't have 4 doors.

The design and durability are so obvious well constructed and made. Like my DH said this stroller could be passed down to our daughter someday when she wanted to have kids! Air filled tires, all aluminum (no plastic), steel gauge on the urban double above the swivel wheels, independent reclining seats, hood and peekaboo cover, very good size storage, easily accessible even if baby is in flat lay down position. It stands on it's own. I could pick up the double with one hand. Weight is not an issue at all. Steering it is like a dream! In fact, you could steer it with just 2 fingers if you wanted!

Fabric is washable and removable. They have a great stroller travel bag and a bug, sun hood too. We put my neighbor's kid who is 7 and 95 pounds in it and had no problem and it still was easy to steer. Then John himself sat in it and he's 165 pounds, about 5'8 and I pushed him too. This stroller is amazing! On the urban double and single you can have your front swivel wheels be fixed too if you wanted.

Forget all others, Mountain Buggy is the only stroller you'll ever need. I've decided to sell everything else and just have this stroller.

Sorry for length, but am so excited and thrilled with it, just had to share all!

Trish

alicia Guest

Default RE: double stroller - Mountain Buggy

Trish,

Hi there. I am just begining my journey to find the perfect double stroller. I am not due until January but figured I would start researching anyway. I am very interested in the mountain buggy. I have two questions. First, is it very difficult to lift in and out of car? 32 lbs seem like a lot. Also, what is the major difference between the Urban and the Terrain? thankyou! your information has been great. alicia

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast