Thread: Combi Strollers

IansMom04 Guest

Default Combi Strollers

I was really surprised to see the kudos and good marks that the Combi strollers got in the Toddler Bargains book... perhaps it is just my experience with these strollers, but I sold my Combi as fast as I could.

I got the Combi convience stroller when my son was 2 months old.. and loved it.. When he was 7 months old I destested that stroller.. I could not steer it at all. His weight was so far forward that it made the pivoting wheels in the front useless.. I felt like I was driving a Mac truck with no power steering.

A friend of mine had the Ultra Savvy.. she laughed at me when I told her my story and swore that she would never get rid of her Combi.. well, her daughter turned 11 months.. and wouldn't you know she had the same exact problem....

I'm not looking to start a flame war on these strollers.. but I was wondering if others who have or had Combi's had this issue too....

Sarah Bell Guest

Default RE: Combi Strollers

It's not just the Combi's. I have a 'look alike' Evenflo and it had the same problem. My DS sat too far forward and it was nearly impossible to steer.
    Now, I'm having the same problem with an umbrella stroller for my 27 month old -- he's very tall 28" and 36 lbs.

Sarah....

laura_winckler Guest

We experienced the same problem with our Combi Ultra Savvy, although it didn't get too bad until my son was about 18 months old. I think that this is problem with most lightweight strollers, though, not just Combi. What do others think about that?

IansMom04 Guest

>snip< think that this is problem with most lightweight strollers, though, not just Combi. What do others think about that?

I have a Maclaren Mistral and Opus and my 17 month old, 24 lb child does fine in it and it is really easy to steer (even one handed..) So at least these lightweight strollers seem to work great...

Jil Guest

We have both the Combi Travel Savvy and the lookalike Evenflo stroller. I think they're great for what their purpose is. They're the lightest stollers on the market that offer a recline. We've taken them on cruises and zoos where we've needed to fold up the stoller quickly and walk down some stairs and we were able to do it so fast and efficiently that we didn't annoy the other people in line. When we travel I can carry the folded stoller in one hand and keep my son on my hip. That being said, you will not get the same performance as you would from a large stroller. It is difficult to navigate the stroller if your child leans forward. And our son makes it more difficult by engaging the front wheel locks with his feet. But if you have a child that often falls asleep in the car seat, it's great to have a compact stroller that doesn't take up a lot of room in your trunk, but which will still allow him to have a comfortable nap.

Jenny Sullins Guest

I thought I was the only one! We have a Combi Perfect Match Stroller (we also bought it b/c of the high marks Baby Bargains gave it), and I can't wait to get rid of it either! It is extremely difficult to press the two buttons to fold it up--you have to have fingers of steel. Also my son gets jerked around in it so much because it does not steer well at all. The front wheels constantly get stuck and I have to keep backing it up to go forward. Definitely not a one handed stroller. Even two hands don't make it an easy one to use. I would not recommend this particular stroller.

yukinoelani Guest

I have to agree. We purchased the Combi Travel Savvy because Baby Bargains gave it such high marks. They have been right on the mark with everything else but not this stroller. I have trouble steering it when DD sits forward and the front wheels lock up constantly. Another problem is that I keep kicking the back wheels so it is not meant for taller people. (I'm 5'7"). Next time I'm going with a MacClaren.

Rebecca Guest

I also have the Travel Savvy. It's still great for my two year old and my 7 month old but they don't weigh over 26 lbs. If your kids even weighs 25lbs and likes to lean forward, this isn't the stroller for you. I still think this is a great reasonably priced travel stroller for a light kid. Probably MacClaren has the best travel strollers for heavier kids.

Renee Guest

We have the Combi Ultra Savvy and it was perfect for us until my Son was about 16 months and then it was like a whirling dervish trying to steer it!

Combi in my opinion is a stroller for side trips and airplane/airport travel. Not an everyday stroller.

If you want lightweight,umbrella stroller that will last through more than one kid, then this is the stroller, albeit the price!

I would never recommend Combi for an everyday stroller and this should be mentioned in the next Bargain book.