jebond Guest

Default Backpack Carriers

We are looking for a backpack carrier to carry our 14-month old in while we are out seeing sights. Any recommedations on something comfortable for him and us? And something that will have room for some of our stuff without being too bulky?

sarasprings Guest

Default RE: Backpack Carriers

My husband tried on a variety of brands when we were deciding. He didn't like the lighter weight ones because they weren't as comfortable as the backpack styles designed for hiking/extended use. The hiking styles do take up more room, though. The two brands that he ended up liking best were Kelty and Tough Traveler. He like the TT models Kid Carrier and Philly (the Stallion is the Philly for taller people). DH thought that they distributed the weight better than Kelty. On our Kid Carrier, there is a nice sized pouch underneath the seating area, plus I think there are extra packs you can buy and attach.

jbsullins Guest

We have the Kelty Back Country and really like it. My hubby mostly wears it, but I have too and it is comfortable and gives necessary back support. My little one enjoys it too, and there is plenty of room for water bottles, diapers and a few other items.

Blue Jeans Mama Guest

What about the Evenflo trail blazer. Is that one Ok for moderate use?

We are looking for a back pack carrier too. And I want something with a frame. We are not going hiking but I would use it for more than an hour. Mostly for laundry time bc I have to go to the first floor (no elevator) and I have to carry everything with me including DS.

The trail blazer is $99. How much are the Kelty and the TT?

Thanks

Cathy

lvp49 Guest

My friend has the Evenflonand she just loves it. She is a single Mom to a 2 and a half year old and a nine month old. She uses it for shopping with the little one, and the older one for parades and other things. The older boy is about 35 lbs. My sister tried it out with her 2 Y/O (fatty) and really liked it too. She will buy it for her husband for Fathers day. I am considering it too.

Jeanmick Guest

We purchased the REI Piggyback from our local REI store back in 2001 (they also sell it on-line if you don't have a store in your area). We really like this carrier compared to others we've tried. It's comfortable for us to wear (I'm 5'4" and my husband is 5'11") and was comfortable for our daughter to ride in. We've had other friends and relatives of various weight and body types try it and they also thought it was comfortable.

It has a good-sized rear compartment, two elasticized pockets and a front mesh pocket. It's not too bulky...holds enough for diapers, wipes, change of outfit, bottles, wallets, keys, etc.. What my husband really likes about this pack is that it comes w/ an unbreakable mirror so that he was able to see our daughter to make sure she was okay. We also purchased the rain/sun bonnet. It's a relatively light-weight (about 5 1/2 pounds), cool-looking carrier and we can't wait to use it again when our second child is old enough!

Go to:
    http://www.rei.com
    click: "Kid's Shop...Child carrier/strollers"

Check it out and compare it to the others. Good luck in your search and hope this helps.

Jackie W Guest

We have a back pack carrier from Mountain Equipment Coop which is a Canadian store. If you can get your hands on one of these do so. It really is the best backpack carrier you can get. I am 102 pounds and 5 ft 2 in. I carried my son in it no problem until he was over 2 years old and 32 pounds. It is very compact and folds almost perfectly flat. The weight is distributed so that, if fitted properly, it is effortless to carry a child in it. The staff at the store were extremely helpful. They fit the carrier for both myself and my husband and marked the straps so that we could fit it correctly again if the straps got moved. It has a study frame, a roomy back pocket and a high sides and back so it has a lot of support for the child yet is impossible to climb out of. My son loved it.

pearl is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

WE're not avid hikers, but we are going camping this July in Washington and doing some sightseeing also. I'm trying to chose between the Deluxe Back Pack by Baby Trend and the Evenflo Trail Blazer. They look like similar packs w/ many of the same features, but I see more reviews on the Trail Blazer. The obvious difference is Baby Trend's model has an aluminum frame and the other is plastic. Does nayone have any opinions/insight? Thanks.