Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shikimama Guest

Default Looking for a lightweight/umbrella stroller

Hi all!

I have a Combi stroller I've used for my 20 mo old dd which I got for $70 and enjoyed using. She still can be in it, but now we are flying to Japan soon and will live in Tokyo for a year, which means we will walk and use subway and trains a lot (going up/downstairs).

So I started thinking about purchasing a new umbrella stroller. I'm planning to buy one at a local BRU using a $10 off coupon I recently got in the mail (I have to use it by the 13th).

I want something that
    --is lightweight (of course),
    --is compact when folded,
    --can be folded with one hand,
    --possibly comes with straps to carry it, and
    --does not have to come with a tray and/or cup holder,
    --around $50 (which, I'm not sure if it's realistic).

I'm not worried about the weight limit to sit on it (my dd is very skinny and tall so I'm quite sure she will outgrow it by hight not weight)

Any recommendation? Is there such a thing?

Now, does it make sense to make this investment if the weight of the stroller that I'm looking for and possibly purchase is not much lighter than my Combi (which weighs about 15 lbs.)? Many umbrella strollers I've looked online (like Maclaren) that have the features I want seem to weigh about 11 lbs, which is lighter than 15 lbs, but not super light. I'm thinking if I cannot find what I really want, then maybe I should just live with the Combi... Are the other features that I want, like one-hand maneuver, still too important to ignore?

What's (a) no-no umbrella stroller(s) on the market that I could encounter at BRU? The other day I was at a TRU and I saw a model (umbrella stroller) by Kolcraft, plus another couple of models by Baby Trend. They seemed to come in the simplest designs and I believe they were the cheapest lines ($13-20). I came home to check how much the Kolcrfat model weighs, and it was 7 + lbs, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the investment (however small).

Any advice will be welcome!
    TIA
    Shiki

raynjen Guest

Default RE: Looking for a lightweight/umbrella stroller

I know this is an unpopular choice, but we bought a Kolcraft umbrella stroller for $9.95 about 4 months ago that we are very happy with.

Mine is as basic as you can get (no recline, no shade, no basket), but I have modified it in the following ways: I made a new cover in colors that I like, I added three key rings along the back top which I can snap things to (keys, cell phone, chapstick, etc.), I made a matching bag that is just big enough for a bottle of water and a snack (or a hard back book and an umbrella), I made an over the shoulder strap for it (but later took it off, found I didn't use it at all!), I also added reflective tape to it. All these 'improvements' together cost less than the stroller and took one evening to do.

We got this when my DD reached the age that A) she wasn't falling asleep every time we went out (she can and does sleep in it, but it makes me uncomfortable watching her) and B) she could be trusted to walk with me. She had been at the age where she wanted to walk by herself a lot, but I wasn't ready for her to do it all the time. Most umbrella strollers are good to 40#.

Definitely buy this in the states. Also, if your daughter will outgrow her current carseat in the next year, plan on buying your next carseat while in the states too. The baby gear in Japan is outrageously expensive (they sell a Kolcraft equivalent for $30!) I've found that it is cheaper to buy online and have them ship it to you then to buy locally (when it comes to baby gear.)

A good source for you is www.japanwithkids.com they have a special section just for Tokyo. Okinawa is a lot different from Tokyo (about like comparing the capital of Nebraska to NYC) but it is still Japan, so if you would like me to answer any question email me, if that doesn't work (and I've had at least one person on this board have problems with my email address) post another message and I'll email you.

Take care, we LOVE Japan.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

Shikimama Guest

Hi Jen

Wow thanks so much for your reply. Glad to hear from someone actually in Japan. Well I am a Japanese native but I know nothing about life with kids in Japan (my dd was born and has been raised only in US) so part of me is very curious about what's available (differently from here) for mothers and kids, and another part of me has "oh everything's gonna be quite expensive there" fear!

Like you said life in Okinawa must be different than that of Tokyo in many ways but prices of things in general are going to be, well, expensive, in either cities (as compared to the US). So you are right, I should buy and bring whatever I can from here.

Wonderful that you made your own "peripheries" to your Kolcraft. I wish I had the talent to sew too... like you, I don't want anything that comes with frills this time either, and in that sense, there was nothing wrong with the Kolcraft model I saw. I guess I wanted to learn what other choices that I can choose from are out there.

As for a car seat I bought Marathon and will bring it there. because Japanese started using car seats fairly recently, I thought I could trust American (and Europe) products better. I know some foreign models are available there but they must be really expensive (often just because they are imports).

I will look into the linked site you gave me now. Thanks a bunch!!

Shiki

raynjen Guest

Shiki,

A lot of the 'modifications' I made can be done even by the least crafty person and they can wait until you get to Tokyo and see how you use your stroller. All the stuff (except the fabric) I got at the 100 yen shop. First can buy large keyrings and caribiners (the things that look like a 'D' that has been squished on one side and have a hinged side that is springlocked closed - you can see them at nice sports stores like REI, but don't buy them there, wait till you can get them at the 100 yen shop.) I sewed the keyrings to the back top of the seat, but you could slip a larger keyring over each handle and fasten the caribiner to the keyring - then you can slip your keys or cell phone into the caribiner. The reflective tape you can get at the 100 yen shop too - just clean the section of metal you want to add it to, snip off the length you need, peel, and stick! The tote I made could easily be a purchased one, the 100 yen shops carry tons of them, just make sure the handles of the tote slip easily over the handles of the stroller without sagging too much.

I also saw a very 'mod' Kolcraft the other day at Toys'R'Us - it was a leopard print with a brushed aluminum look frame and black handles and wheels, much more stylish than the standard navy blue frame with childish print.

The cover that I made was VERY easy to sew, and like I said only took 1 afternoon. Maybe you have a friend who would like to do this for you? If you couldn't already tell I am a HUGE aficianado of the 100 yen shop. All my daughter's dishware comes from there (see the Mealtime forum for info on toddler dishes, I posted a picture of hers there). They also have wonderful baby/toddler snacks and foods, washcloths, some clothing, and an assortment of toys.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

Shikimama Guest

Hi Jen,

I guess I could possibly sew something simple like that... I really liked your idea of using the D-shaped rings for keys and cellphone! I also saw a leopard print version of Kolcraft at a TRU. One of the reasons why I did't jumped on what I saw (Kolcraft along with other Baby Trend one) was because I didn't like any of the designs available.... I will go to BRU sometime soon and look into some choices to make decision.

100 yen shops started popping up all over the place around the time I left Japan for US (mid 90's) so I haven't really had an opportunities to shop at them. Well I'm guessing they are just like 99 cents centers (dollar shops) that we have here (selling lots of junk in bulk but there are some things that you cannot find anywhere else that you love and keep going back there for, and the low price is always guaranteed!!).

I loved the web site you gave me the link to. Wow! It was exactly what I needed (useful word of a mouth ["kuchi-komi"] info for foreigners/English speakers living in Tokyo/Japan). I spent hours today to read posts on "flying with kids" forum there!!!

Thanks a lot,
    Shiki

raynjen Guest

Oh! 100 yen shops and dollar stores should not be mentioned in the same breath!!! There is soooo much NICE stuff that you can get there... Okay, mostly the toys are dollar store stuff, but you can get great office supplies, home decorating, organizational, kitchenware, beauty supplies, crafting, gardening, and laundry stuff. They also have hardware too and baby supplies too.

The worst part about sewing the new cover was taking the old one off - THAT was gut clenching, but I kept telling myself that it was only $10 and I could get another one if I had to... The sewing is all straight line and straight forward. The sling is actually just a rectangle of cloth that has been cleverly cut and folded. If you do try and duplicate it make sure that you take the whole thing off and only undo the stitching on one side - this will give you the dimensions that you need for the fabric, but will still keep the fold that you need to duplicate intact (it sounds harder than it actually was, the fold was a bit like origami, once you've done it once you go 'AHA!')

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

Shikimama Guest

Default Now I don't know what to get and where

I went to BRU today and compared a few models I would possibly buy.

Baby Trend $ 59.99 simple, quite easy to maneuver, I thought "simple one like this is what I need."

Baby Trend 79.99 reduced to 59.99, just like the model above but it comes with an insert with a feet cover which I thought was wonderful.

BUT these Baby Trend models weighs 16# + which is heavier than my Combi at 15# (even though they are less bulkier than that) I wouldn't buy them. I wasn't sure if I liked how to use their buckle either (it was not very easy to put my dd down and buckle her up for some reason)

Right next to these two models there was the famous Volo by Maclaren. Well I LOVE how it looks (light blue), very lightweight, easy to manuever, BUT... it was really hard to fold it. First I didn't know how. I asked for help and the store clark who helped me said "(stepping on a little piece, just like many other makers' models) Do like this, BUT this model is a bit hard because of the piece attached to the carrier is right on top of where you are supposed to step on." Exactly it, there was a little piece that gets in the way to step fold it. I really didn't like it. Besides, it's beyond my budget.

Then I saw a Kolcraft model at $20: very simple, easy to fold. It wasn't too bad at all (unless it starts to fall apart after using it for a few times). I just hated the colors (plain navy or green). holds only up to 35# (which may not be a biggie for me because my dd is light).

For the same reason (colors) I didn't like Chicco's models I saw there. Both are around my budget (49.99), light weight, simple, but I wouldn't buy those just because of the colors.

What I wanted is with the color (stylishness) of Maclaren, baby Trend or even Kolcraft's ease of use, and I'm willing to pay up to Chicco's price.

BRU and TRU are conveniently there to try something out firsthand, but the selection of products seems rather small. Now what should I do? Any good online store to buy possibly with a free shipping deal?

Shiki

Shikimama Guest

Jen,

I will definitely go to a 100 yen shop when I get home!

Well you said you got your Kolcraft for $10, but where? I went to see one at TRU and their cheapest model was on sale at 12.99 I think. Another model with leopard print or with cover was sold at 19.99 I believe. The one I saw today at BRU was one of them (as I mentioned in another message on this thread).

Shiki

raynjen Guest

Default RE: Now I don't know what to get and where

The only thing to keep in mind about the Maclaren (we used to have one) is that the very design that makes them easy to manuever also makes them easy to tip over. My DD tipped over our Maclaren by stretching when she was in the reclined position! Maclaren basically said that this was inherent to the design and to deal with it. Having said that I LOVED ours and, had the Volo been available at the time, probably would have purchased the Volo. For what you are looking for, the Volo is probably worth the extra money (it doesn't recline, so the tip over problem is non-existent). If DH wasn't so appalled at the number of strollers we have/had I would have bought it instead of the Kolcraft, but it was definitely easier to sell him on a $9.95 model!

We found our Kolcraft stroller at the BX, sometimes the BX (Base Exchange) gets discontinued pattern/colors at a cheaper price.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/3)

Shikimama Guest

Default RE: Now I don't know what to get and where

Hi Jen

>Volo is probably worth the extra money (it doesn't recline, so
    >the tip over problem is non-existent). If DH wasn't so
    >appalled at the number of strollers we have/had I would have
    >bought it instead of the Kolcraft, but it was definitely
    >easier to sell him on a $9.95 model!

What would you say the major difference between Volo (or other Maclaren product) and Kolcraft is? I don't get any feeling that you have problem using your Kolcraft (after you worked on its look yourself), but with no money issue, you would have bought a Volo. Would you say Volo is still better made than Kolcraft, worth that much more money? Is the difference its look, ease of use, or ....?

Pricewise Kolcraft is definitely a winner in our household!!

>We found our Kolcraft stroller at the BX, sometimes the BX
    >(Base Exchange) gets discontinued pattern/colors at a cheaper
    >price.

I hadn't heard of BX till now.

Thanks!!
    Shiki

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast