pjand1 Guest

Default Double Stroller solutions that worked for me

I came to this message board a year ago, frantically searching for information on how to deal with strollers for two kids under the age of 18 months. My kids are 17 months apart.

Thought I'd share what worked for me (and what didn't).

I didn't want a huge double stroller (we don't have an SUV/van and don't have a garage). And, I really wanted to continue to use my Snap 'n Go and Maclaren Techno.

I bought both Phil and Ted's e3 and a Buggy Board (for my Maclaren Techno). I've been thrilled with both. I tried stroller connectors for the Maclaren and the Snap 'n Go - but it didn't work.

Infant stage: I found I was often out with another person when my DD was first born, so it was easy to put her in the Snap 'n Go and keep my DS in the Maclaren. However, I did get a lot of use out of the e3 in the newborn/toddler mode - for when I was by myself. I didn't use the cocoon, but my DD would sleep great in the back (newborn part) of the stroller. People were often shocked to see I had 2 kids with me! It just took up too much room in my trunk to keep it with me at all times.

I did convert between newborn and toddler mode during the inbetween months. I could put DD in the back starting at about 5 months, and she was happy. But, if she needed to nap, it was a breeze to switch the configuration and have her lay down.

6 months plus: I still use the e3 for exercise or when I know both kids will want to sit. Although the youngest is supposed to sit in the back, my very tall 2.5 year old DS LOVES to sit in the back. At 1 and 2.5, it works great for us. I know in a few months they'll be arguing about who gets to sit in back....so no worries for those concerned about that seat!

We LOVE the BuggyBoard option. It was a pain to connect to the Maclaren, but now we use it constantly. My DS so prefers to stand and just loves being able to hop off to go look at something. It might not work for a more high-strung child, but my DS was fine on it starting at 2 years old. We take it everywhere - through airports, shopping, to the zoo, etc. It is so great to be out and only have the Techo and the BuggyBoard - plenty of trunk space left....

So - hope this information helps someone.....

chiqanita Guest

Default RE: Double Stroller solutions that worked for me

Thanks for sharing. We're in the process of looking for something a little larger for our twins. I'm going to look into that e3.

susani Guest

Thanks for sharing this info. I have really been struggling with double strollers since my oldest child is just over 2 and double strollers just seem so big and bulky, plus my older one really doesn't seem to mind walking. I like the looks of the Phil and Ted e3 and I think I'm leaning towards that so I can use it as either a single or double and not have a stroller take up so much space, and I've also thought that, at 2, my oldest is old enough to learn how to stand on the buggyboard, so I'm glad to hear this from someone. Thanks again.

sealey Guest

After our DS was born when DD was 15 months, we got the Graco tandem nightmare. It was cheap, about $100, and it fit our Graco Sungride infant seat. After pushing that bus for a few months, we broke down and shelled out the big bucks for the Mountain Buggy Urban Double. We love it! The only downside is, it is HUGE and weighs a ton. We have a full size SUV and it takes up every bit of the back. Not a stroller you could put in a car, I would not think. Pushes like a dream and was great at WDW.

helaina Guest

Thank you so much for your post! I've been thinking about TTC #2 and I am thinking about using my Maclarens with a Buggy Board instead of a double stroller. i also figured that for long trips to the zoo I'd have DH with me so we could each push a stroller (and we already have a couple of singleton strollers). Your post was so helpful! Thank you.

rcronin1 Guest

Hi, Thanks for your review! I hadn't seen this yet, but heard it mentioned. You got me to actually look at one. It seems great! How is it off road? I live in a city with bad sidewalks and I like to go "off road" in the state park, too. Which is basically dirt roads. Can it handle a little snow or dirt?

Thank you so much in advance!

pjand1 Guest

I'm assuming you mean the Buggy Board.... (versus the e3)...

It can handle "a little snow and dirt," but it's not really built for serious off-roading. It basically works well where my Maclaren Techno works well. We took it to Colorado twice this winter, and it was fine on the ice and snow of a ski resort. I, too, live with bad sidewalks and if the stroller can handle it, so can the Buggy Board. (We just have a rule that my DS must keep 2 hands on the stroller at all times!)

One nice feature is that it has a 'leash' that allows you to lift up the Buggy Board when not in use. If I ever get to an area that is difficult (i.e., really tall grass), I just have my DS get off and walk for a bit until I get to better ground...

rcronin1 Guest

I actually meant the e3, but now I'm going to check out the Buggy Board, lol. thanks again!

pjand1 Guest

Glad I asked!

The e3 can handle snow and dirt and sidewalk cracks no problem. It has air-filled tires and you can lock the front wheel for jogging.

The combo of both strollers has been great for us. The techno and buggy board stay in my car and I use the e3 for the neighborhood.

hapahaole Guest

Wow, we have the same stroller colletion. I started with the Snap N Go (love it...still my favorite stroller), then got the Maclaren Techno XT, and right before my 2nd was born, I got a Phil and Teds E3 with toddler seat. My DS (#1) would push his feet down on the fabric foot rest of the E3 and that would cause the fabric to rub on the front tire and really slow down the stroller. So we put the toddler seat on the top (like in toddler/infant mode) and now he can't reach the footrest. I talked with the Phil and Ted customer service and they said this is a known problem and they're trying to figure out how to fix it. Otherwise I like the stroller so far. I just had DD 6 weeks ago (DS and DD are 22 months apart). Sometimes I carry her in the bjorn and push DS in the Maclaren. Originally I thought I'd use the P&T for everything, but it does seem bulky to keep in my car since I'm used to just keeping the mac or snapngo in the car. Something about that extra toddler seat makes me think it'll be more of a pain to fold up, but it's really not that hard.
    Today I took DD in the snap and go and had DS walk...but I ended up just chasing him all over...big mistake. So now I'm looking into getting a kiddie board or a seat 2 go (http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dmart2/setogosabyli.html) . The seat 2 go option looks better since DS would be able to sit. But I wonder if it would get in the way while I'm walking. Do you find you kick the kiddie board?

Thanks,
    heather