sjk Guest

Default table and chair sets

I'm looking to purchase a table and chair set for my 19 month old son. I was considering the little tikes set. Just looking for input on this set or any other brand, positives and negatives.
    Thanks
    SJK

suzannecat Guest

Default RE: table and chair sets

I found a great one on eBay. Natural color wood with primary color painted top and 2 chairs. I was new- I think the seller makes them specifically for eBay. The quality is great- very sturdy and it cost a lot less than similar ones in the Pottry Barn and Natural Baby catalogs. Feel free to email me if you want more info- I probably saved the info somewhere.

[email protected]

bb Guest

IKEA has very nice table and chair sets. They have ones that are of plastic as well as wood and they are not very expensive.
    Check their web site www.ikea.com for a store near you or you can even phone order from their catalog. You can request a 2002 catalog from their web-site.

anadandy Guest

We inherited a Little Tikes table and chairs from my sister-in-law and I really like it. It has two little drawers that don't hold much but are enough to keep my 21 month old happy opening and shutting them. It also has two sturdy plastic chairs. I know the wooden tables are probably prettier but the plastic is more durable (My toddler is a "banger" and I imagine he'd dent a wooden table.
    ),washable (warm, soapy sponge) and no hard edges to bump heads.

The bottom of the table is made out of either really thin particleboard or heavy cardboard (I can't really tell) and it sags a bit in places - but this is probably because as a hand-me-down it's at least 5 years old.

Probably the only downside is the static factor, because it's plastic if your toddler gets to shifting around the seat the seat, be careful when you touch him :)

Anne

JakesMommy Guest

I was pretty much ready to go for the IKEA myself, but my parents went in with me on the Limbo Table & Chairs from Crate & Barrel. Yes, it's pretty expensive, but since it's made from real hardwood and constructed like fine furniture, the chairs are sturdy enough for even adults to sit on, and we can keep it in our living room where it actually looks very nice.

The table is round with four wedge-shaped compartments surrounding it, which is nice for keeping books, a few favorite (small) toys, and Jake's box of crayons handy. Jake loves this so much that we've taken to eating meals here, since he likes having his own special chair & table. He also loves having lunch with a friend at his table.

Care is pretty easy... just wipe down with a damp sponge. We use some dish liquid if it needs to be cleaned from stray crayon marks or ketchup.

We've been very pleased with the sturdiness & style of this collection, and I'm planning to purchase two more chairs by the end of the year, since we're expecting baby #2 and I'd like both our kids to be able to have friends over.

jsisemore Guest

We bought the basic, all plastic Little Tikes set with the molded, one-piece yellow chairs. Although I do like the durability and easy cleaning, we do have one fault with the product. Our just-turned-three-year-old is a climber, and these chairs are not stable *at all* when stood on. I know that wasn't their intent when they were made, so I can't really fault the company for this, but if your toddler is a climber, you may want to consider one of the more solid, wood sets.

brubeck Guest

I too must go with IKEA. We got a solid rubberwood table and 2 chairs for $45 (chairs $12.50 each, table $20). You really can't beat that. They are mostly 'natural' light-colored, laminated wood, with white trim. The best part is that you buy the chairs separately, so if we decide at some point we'd like to increase it to 4 chairs we don't have to buy another set, just 2 separate chairs. And BTW, it's high quality and it looks quite nice, like adult furniture, only smaller.

Jil Guest

Hi, I love the table and chair set we bought for our toddler. It's called Twist-to-Fit and both the table and two chairs feature a corkscrew design to grow with your child. We have one chair and the table screwed down to his size and I keep the other chair at adult size so his dad or I can sit with him comfortably while he plays at the table. It comes in primary colors or natural wood. I bought ours from Overstock.com for $84 with free shipping, but it's available on other websites as well.

starrynight Guest

Do not buy the step 2 table and chair set with the purple and green chairs. The chairs have a cut-out in the back and my 3 year old son got stuck in it. He was sitting on the chair the wrong way(facing the back of the chair with his legs throught the opening) granted that is not the company's fault because my son was sitting improperly but if you think you child might think it is okay to sit the wrong way it isn't a good buy. He had managed to get the chair stuck around his stomach when he stood up and it was difficult to get it off him. We did and he is fine but still something you don't want to have to do.