Thread: Video Favorites

JakesMom Guest

Default Video Favorites

Anybody want to share their faves? I don't like parking my kid in front of the TV, but we do watch shows together and try to be as interactive as possible.

Jake LOVES Blues Clues, and really responds to it. I was actually a little nervous about Steve leaving, but my son has really taken to Joe and seems to prefer him. We have a few purchased videos (including the Musical Adventure, which is not my favorite) but Jake's favorite tape is a homemade one that begins with the three-part "We Meet Joe" episode and continues with whatever eps we can tape.

He's just starting to get into Dora the Explorer, but not as rabidly. Sesame Street is still a favorite. We have Elmopalooza (LOVE this video!), several Elmo videos, various alphabet & song compilations, the 25th Anniversary special, and my first purchase, which is "Let's Make Music." The latter features artists from Stomp, and our son loves it. My husband's favorite Sesame Street video is probably "Silly Songs."

I admit I fell prey to the Time-Life Muppet videos commercials. My husband doesn't get into them, but I love the Muppets. The tape with Harry Belafonte, Linda Rondstadt & John Denver is probably my son's and my favorite of this collection.

Something I was suprised to discover is that my son loves to watch Zoom. My husband noted that he also likes Disney channel shows/movies that feature kids between about 6 and 12.

We are a Barney-free household, so I can't comment on these. I'm about to order Free to Be, You and Me (one of my all-time childhood faves) on DVD. Any other suggestions?

ct Guest

Default RE: Video Favorites

My 21MO DD absolutely loves the Zoboomafoo program on PBS. She is mezmorized by this program probably due to the combination of live people/animals, puppetry and the claymation which keeps her attention. I've never seen her sit as still as she does while she watches this show. She LOVES all the animals. They have some videos out that I plan to get, but haven't gotten around to that yet - I've seen that they are all rated pretty highly at Amazon.com. She also really likes the Book of Pooh program (on Disney channel I believe). I have one of the videos (and again plan to get more) and I think she likes it because it isn't a cartoon, but rather a clever Japanese type of puppetry. My daughter doesn't really like TV too much, but these two programs are 'attention grabbers' for her. Luckily I don't mind watching them either! She seems to be just developing an interest in Blues Clues, so luckily Steve's departure won't affect her!! Best of luck...

ct

Jennifer Guest

Our 29 month old twins LOVE Maisy videos. Picked up a Count with Maisy video at TJ Maxx for $5.99. One day we actually watched it three times. I've also gotten Maisy's ABC which they also adore. Had to order that one from Barnes and Noble--can't find any others locally. Maisy used to be on Nickelodeon, but currently isn't on the lineup. There are a ton of Maisy videos available.

They also really like Rolie Polie Olie. We have four of those videos--don't have the Disney channel.

We've got quite a few Barney and quite a few Elmo/Sesame Street videos. One of my favorites is Sesame Street's Kids' Favorite Songs. Don't buy Kids' Favorite Songs 2, though--it's cheesy and there's a rolling meatball that scares my girls. Also don't recommend Sesame Street's Great Numbers Game. Production doesn't seem up to par and a rolling cookie chases the characters and scares my girls. I do recommend the 25th anniversary video. And the girls like the Elmo's World videos we have.

Also bought a Baby Animals on the Farm video at TJ Maxx by DK which the girls really like.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

KK Guest

We're also Barney-free- it is really hard, especially since the Wiggles videos (a big favorite) have Barney promos in them. About the free to be DVD- i bought this and I am way more into it than DD. She'll come around soon I hope. kristan

elf Guest

I personally love "Between the Lions" on PBS. My daughter likes it too. ;)

MrsGriffin Guest

Default Bo Peep Productions makes some nice videos

They are of kids doing kids things set to simple music. My kids have loved them, especially "Bugs don't Bug Us!" The other in the series are Doing Things: Eating Washing in Motion, Good Morning Good Night: A Day on the Farm, Moving Machines and Which Way Weather.

brubeck Guest

Okay I know this sounds weird, but my 21 month old daughter seems to like my Yellow Submarine DVD. I guess to kids it's just a weird, colorful cartoon! Come to think of it, that's what it is to me too..... :-)