Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set

Has anyone tried these? They look like they could be fun.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...15940864902498
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: LeapFrog Fridge Phonics Magnetic Letter Set

If you have other LF stuff and like it, then you'll probably like these. But they can be LOUD! The mom who hosted my playgroup last week had these and I was ready to rip them off the fridge by the end of the 2 hours! :)
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

LOL! I like the other LF stuff but DS does not. I am trying in vain to get him to recognize letters. He is just not interested.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

We have them. I generally like Leapfrog toys and so does DS. I agree with Beth, they can be loud (especially because DS likes to move the volume control button to the loudest setting LOL). They are sturdy. DS throws the magnets on the floor all the time and they still look brand new. It does have an element of a simple puzzle because you put each letter into the base and press it to hear a song about that letter. The song provides the sounds of that letter. Also, there is a button that plays the Alphabet Song. DS likes that button too. If your child played with these magnets constantly, the songs might get on your nerves, but it really doesn't bother me (and some electronic toys DO bother me - almost all FP toys).

Another Leapfrog toy that DS loves (and does letter/sound identification) is the Phonics Radio. We didn't think it looked like much, but DS loves it. He carries it everywhere. It has a book in the center with 6 letters on each page (on the last page there are 2 letters and 4 songs). Each letter has a corresponding button. When you push the button, it sings a rather catchy song about that letter, giving different sounds that the letter makes and words that begin with the letter. There's also a center button that initiates a game where the child is asked to find particular letters. It's actually pretty neat. http://tinyurl.com/25bl5
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

mamahill Guest

LOL, this IS loud. We played with it for about 10 minutes at Toys R Us, with the intention of buying it for Christmas, but after 10 minutes, I put the thing back, then went and bought regular (quiet!) magnetic letters/numbers for the fridge.

I totally felt like the Grinch saying, 'All that noise, noise, noise... If there's one thing I hate, all the noise, noise, noise!'

I should add, though, that we do have some toys that make noise - the Leapstart Table, the FP Farm, and the FP house. I can deal with some noise, but I'm trying not to add to it. I start to feel tense when DD runs from table to farm to house pushing all the song buttons. Calgon!!

jojo2324 Guest

We have these, and I don't think they are too loud. :) But we only have it on the low setting. I put it on the louder setting the other day, and it was pretty loud!!

I like their Calypso-influenced alphabet song, LOL. And DS doesn't seem to care a lick about letters yet, even though he pushes the thing all the time. :)

mamahill Guest

Maybe at the store it was set at loud. Hmmm - that would have made a difference.:)

cma Guest

This is a little off the subject, but instead having the kids use the magnetic letters at your fridge, have the kids use them on oil drip pans for cars - the kind you buy at a Kragen.

Then they can work the letters at another part of the house and not in the kitchen if these ones are too loud.

I used to have a bunch of pans set up in my classroom so that kids could practice making up words with regular old "quiet" magnetic letters...but these leapfrog ones look like a lot of fun!

Santa brought these for Kathleen last Christmas and she loves them! Yes, the loudest setting is loud. But she will sing the little song and is learning that letters make different sounds. She dances around to the Alphabet Song too. The only problem I have with these is "erasing" the pervy words my brother makes with the letters when he stops by. :D

etwahl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

are they okay for 1 year olds? it says 2-5. they look fun, i wouldn't mind them.

Tammy,
    Mom to Lauren Genevieve
    03/12/2003
    www.evantammy.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast