Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mamahill Guest

Default Help me with dolls! (please)

Ainsleigh has a small doll that someone gave to her. She absolutely loves it (as well as anything resembling a doll/baby) but it's pretty ugly. The think is mostly cloth except for the head, and it has that hair only on the front so as long as it's bonnet is on, it looks like it has hair, but then you take it off and it's pretty ugly. And she also sports a nice penmark from ear to ear. Ainsleigh has since learned we do NOT draw on anything except paper. Soooo, I'm ready to get her a better doll. And, since her birthday is at the end of March, that's when it will happen.

Here's my question - I'd like to get her a nice doll, but not too big. I've been looking at Bitty Baby, and wouldn't mind getting her one of those, if they're really that great. The Baby Annabelle dolls look just as expensive, but I don't care for the battery-operated feature. I guess I should list what IS important to me: eyes close, preferable no "real" hair, not too big (no more than 18-20"), able to change clothes. I want a nice doll, but not too expensive (and by that, I guess I should clarify that I don't mind spending up to $50 for the doll and the first outfit, but not more than that and preferably less).

Ainsleigh will definitely be getting a stroller since that is what she makes a beeline for whenever we are at someone's house where there is a doll stroller. So a doll and stroller, those will be her only presents from us. I don't care about extra clothes right now. My mom is a very proficient seamstress and she has already volunteered to make the doll a couple outfits, as well as a quilt to match the one she made Ainsleigh, and a pillow (see pillow obsession in the bedroom forum). So I don't care about a bunch of extras.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default RE: Help me with dolls! (please)

I plan to get DD a Bitty Baby for her birthday. One thing I like is that since it is such a popular doll, there are LOTS of patterns out there to sew your own clothes.

FYI, we got an extremely inexpensive doll stroller at Target, and I have also seen them at TRU. My DD really adores this stroller. She likes to hang her bag on the stroller handles just like I do! :) I also see them at TJ Maxx and places like that occasionally.

ETA: Currently she has a couple REALLY cheap plastic dolls from Target. One is Bitty Baby sized and one (OK we actually have 3, since they were in a package of 3/$5) is super small and we use it in the shower. I wash DD and she washes her doll. She does like these cheape ones just fine.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

mamahill Guest

See, this is where I wonder if we should wait until she is older to get her the Bitty Baby, and find something else smaller for now. I would love to have a doll she could take in the bathtub. I've also thought I should get one that I can use to help potty train her. I had an all-plastic one that I got when I was 2 that I took everywhere and it had eyes that opened/closed. Most of the all-plastic ones I've seen don't have the closing eyes any more. Maybe I'll check out Target. I'm not opposed to getting her a cheaper doll, I'm just sick of the half-head of hair thing. It really creeps me out. But then, so do clowns and mimes. I supose it's something *I* need to deal with - LOL!

And I'm definitely going to just get a cheap stroller - no Chicco baby buggies!! it will be for in-home use, only, so I don't see a need for anything more than what I've seen at TRU or Target:).

Thanks for the ideas - I'm really obsessing way too much about dolls (trying desperately to avoid doing taxes)...

raynjen Guest

Noelle LOVES her bitty baby. She (Noelle, not the baby) is very small for her age and has no problem carrying her around. We have the stroller, a couple of outfits, and the tea set. The stroller and tea set both have gotten a lot of use, both with, and separate from, the baby.

I have been VERY happy with the quality of both the doll and the accessories (the stroller survived Noelle climbing into several times before we could convince her that it was for baby only). A friend of mine was over and commented on the awsome quality of the tea set in particular (almost like a melamine type plastic).

One recommendation, and this would be true whatever you get her, take everything out of the packaging before you wrap it. In other words remove all the ties and twisties and cardboard that make it sit so prettily in the box. I did this with her Birthday gifts and she was able to play with them immediately. I didn't do this with her Christmas gifts and she had a meltdown after each toy was unwrapped (since we had to take them away from her to assemble).

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

P.S. I attached a photo of Noelle playing with her doll...

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Noelle is so cute! Can I confess that I am "priming" DD for Bitty? We got an AG catalog before Christmas and periodcially we "read" the catalog together! :)

Here's some pictures of Sarah and her Target doll and Target stroller:

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

raynjen Guest

I have to say that if we were in the states right now I probably would have gotten Noelle a less expensive baby to "start" on. Not that I regret buying the Bitty Baby at all...

We knew we would have to find something that A) everyone could buy - Grandpa who only shops online and Great-Grandma who likes paper catalogs B) would ship to APO addresses (military) and C) had lots of variety within the "Aunt" price range - $25 and under.

American Girl definitely suits us for all of these reasons, and the quality, as I said before, is outstanding.

BTW, Sarah is adorable, such the little lady, its hard to believe that she is only 2 months older than Noelle...

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

corolle has some beautiful dolls that are called Poupee dolls. Just sized right for a toddler. Clothes are easy to change and the best part, they don't smell like vinyl! They have a slight vanilla scent to it. Try better childrens stores or Liveandlearn.com.
    Michele

mamahill Guest

Default Beth and Jen!

First of all - how CUTE are your girls?!?! And not to knock boys, but isn't it soooo fun having girls?! eeek! Ok, so questions:

1. Jen - how old was Noelle when you gave her the Bitty Baby? What kind of stroller do you have?

2. Beth - ok, not so much a question as a giggle at Sarah's hat and dress-ups - they're great! Thanks for the smile - I'll be laughing all day:).

mamahill Guest

Oh nooooo - those are GREAT! Do you have one? Which one? Ugh, the only problem is deciding which one I would choose - they're all so cute (and one with a swimsuit?!)! Thank you (I think...)!

emmiem is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have Loli, the one with dark hair and tan skin. My DD was born in Guatemala so I like to find dolls that are not blonde and blue eyed. She loves it!
    Michele

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast