Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Is a Colorform and How Does It Work?

I'm all intrigued with Colorforms and think we need some. However, I must admit that I really have no idea what they are or how they work. I gather they are some sort of reusable sticker-type idea, but I can't see them IRL. So, if we get any, I'll have to order on-line. Also, for those of you that have them, do you have any recommendations on brands or stories for a 2-year-old. DS is especially into all things sports and transportation oriented.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

brubeck Guest

Default RE: What Is a Colorform and How Does It Work?

I don't have any myself, but I played with them as a kid. I didn't even know they still made them!

Basically it is a thin sheet of rubber-like material. It adheres through static electricity to a laminated backdrop. Removeable stickers is a really good way to describe it, or perhaps rubber 'paper dolls' (if you remember paper dolls, which I also loved as a kid).

You don't want to give Colorforms to a kid who is still chewing on stuff. These are very 'chewable' (because of the thin, rubbery texture) and could potentially pose a choking hazard.

Now what I really miss are Presto Magics. They were special 'stickers' with a paper backdrop. You had to rub a pencil over them to get them to stick onto the paper. Each set cost about $1 and provided an hour or two of fun. They were our favourite travel game.

mamahill Guest

Do you have a Target nearby? They sell them there. I bet they have them at ToysRus or similar. I just bought a Stawberry Shortcake one for Ainsleigh. I haven't given it to her, but she loves stickers, so I'm hoping it works to distract her for an hour or two (or three?).

Where are they at Target? I was looking in the area with activity books and didn't see anything. That's good to know, though. I checked my favorite independent toy store and they acted like you couldn't get them in a B&M store. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to go back to Target.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Also try TJ Maxx/Marshalls. They had some with Bob the Builder and Dora the Explorer awhile ago.

I got DD a cheap set from Target (it was a Dora one) and she really enjoys it.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I was just at TJ Maxx and Marshalls and didn't see any. What am I looking for? I'm imagining it looking like a sticker book or magnetic book. Do these come in a box instead or what?

The ones at TJ Maxx that I saw were in a box. The box is long and recatngular and about 1 inch deep.

http://www.elearningtoys.com/univ70231.html

Target has some in boxes. But the one I got was in a small flat package. I got it because it was a good size to slip into a diaper bag as a handy toy for travel and restaurants. My Target has them in the same aisle as MagnaDoodles and Playdoh.

HTH,

Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

My Target also had them down the aisle with play dough and other art stuff in the toy section. They were sitting on a shelf. I got DD the Thomas The Train ones, she really likes them!

HTH!
    Lisa

Thanks for the tip. I spent a lot of time in that aisle the last time, but I wasn't looking for them there, so I'll try again.

FYI, I saw some box sets at Michaels today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast