Default Recommendation for Alan Baker Books

In case you haven't seen these, I just wanted to recommend books by Alan Baker, especially those featuring rabbits.

Our two favorites are:

Brown Rabbit's Shape Book http://tinyurl.com/bumle

and Grey Rabbit's Odd One Out http://tinyurl.com/bvxuq

I really like how the concepts in his books are interrelated. DS really enjoys them. The Odd One Out book is about grouping similar items. The child identifies which object on the page doesn't fit. We have liked all of his books.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

amp Guest

Default RE: Recommendation for Alan Baker Books

Thanks for this recommendation. I've seen his name on a few books, but hadn't heard anything about them. Good to know to keep them in mind at the bookstore or library.

We totally learned about these books by accident. I was looking for books about shapes at the library and found Brown Rabbit's Shape Book, knowing nothing about it. It was an instant hit. DS asks to check it out fairly regularly. I tried to buy it at Christmas and could only find it in paperback (and thought we weren't ready for that). I'm not sure if it's available hardback again now or not.

Then, DS asked for more "rabbit books." The Odd One Out book was a more recent find, but it is so neat. DS sees it as a game to find the out of place object and gets to outsmart the rabbit at the end by finding what the rabbit is really looking for before the rabbit does.

In reading my original post, I thought I'd elaborate on what I like about the style of the books. In the shape book, for instance, the rabbit receives a box. So, there are shapes identified on the box. But, then the box is opened and there are other shapes inside. Then there are balloons to blow up that the rabbit finds in the box. Each is a different shape and is equated to something the child is probably familiar with already. I find this much better than just having a page with a drawn square and the word "square" on the same page.

Similarly, with the ABC book (Black and White Rabbit's ABC), each letter is connected to the next. The rabbit has an apple (A) and puts the apple on a box (B), etc.

So, there is a larger story instead of just the concept itself, which I like.

I hope you like them too.
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

wendmatt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have Brown Rabbits shape book too and DD loves it. We have read Brown rabbits day too which she liked. I'll def look out for Grey Rabbits Odd One out, it looks great. Thanks

alkagift is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Chanda, these are great!

Allison
    Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!