TylerB Guest

Default train sets: imaginarium & little tree

Hello,
    I just bought DS a Little Tree train set (the 120 piece set), but we are a bit unhappy with it. The trains are hard to keep on the track and the configuration makes it even more challenging (e.g., a turn-around thing doesn't allow the train to go in the majority of the directions that the track is configured for). Does anyone know if the Imaginarium set is any better? Looking at the pics online one of the sets appears to have a better configuration, but it looks like the buildings, trains, people, etc look to be about the same quality (which I am ok with as long as the trains work on the track ok). I am trying to avoid Thomas and Brio sets because of price and I figure I can add Thomas trains as needed.

Otherwise we are considering GeoTrax. I tend to like simpler toys with less bells and whistles (creative play, less overstimulation), but I hear that they are better at keeping the trains on the tracks. I also worry that 2 y.o. DS will develop a Thomas obsession and that it won't be compatible.

Thoughts? Thank you!
    Susan

pittsburghgirl Guest

Default RE: train sets: imaginarium & little tree

I can't speak specifically to the Imaginarium set, but if the trains are hard to keep on the track it may be an issue with the trains, not the tracks themselves. We have a bunch of Thomas and a couple of Brio trains, and then the trains that came with our Costco set (kidcraft, maybe) and the trains from the Costco set are definitely not as nice as the Brio and Thomas trains and are definitely more likely to crash off the track.

You might buy one or two new engines and see if they work better on your track. Most posts I've read indicate that the various brands of track are pretty similar.

We have mix and match track - some from the Costco set (which was kidcraft, I think), some from Thomas, some from Brio. Honestly, if I had a starter set already I think I might just invest in some additional track and a few nicer trains. If you get an expansion set of track (Brio has a nice one) you can make up your own configurations so much more easily. You also might just need some adapter track (Thomas has small sets of these) to change the way male/female ends attach to get your current configuration to work better.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

TylerB Guest

Thank you! I'll give that a try!

s7714 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I agree with the engine vs. track quality. In the Little Tree set I bought DD (to expand her Brio set) seemed to have equal if not better quality track than that from the Brio set. The Brio trains however stayed on all the brands of track better than the cheapo LT ones.

Jennifer
    Mommy to
    Miss Pure Energy 3/03
    Miss Antsy-Pants 6/05

Calling fellow BBB SoCal moms...we'd love to meet you!
    (100 posts & BBB member for 3 months req'd)
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybargainssocal/