spu Guest

Default climbers vs. swingsets

My babies are turning 1 next Sunday! and we're trying to decide if we should get a climber or wait and get a swingset when they're bigger. Some of the climbers look like they'd entertain for a few years, but others look like the babies would be bored by the time they're 2 or 3.

Anyone use the plastic climbers or climber/swingset combos? How long did they hold your baby's interest?

thanks!!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
    charlotte & else

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default RE: climbers vs. swingsets

we got the basic little cube climber with the slide on DS's 1st birthday.... he loved it! He just turned two and he seems really bored of it.... we are looking for the Little Tikes Jungle climber... second hand, those things are so expensive new! I tihnk the Jungle climber would keep your kiddos interrested for a while.... you could always invest in a little playhouse for their 2nd birthday.... my son loves them when we go to Toys R Us! Then when they are bored of those sell them and invest in a swingset with the fort and all the bells and whistles!!!!

Good Luck and Happy birthday girls!
    ~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

baby_mis1 Guest

It looks like it has been awhile since you posted, so this may be too late to help you, but someone else may read in the future. I felt the same as you - my son would soon be bored by one of the small climbers. He LOVES to climb, and I knew he needed to get his energy out. We found a full-size swingset system that has what they call a "sure-step" system that allows even toddlers to climb up to the top. It is versatile so that the toddlers can use the inside platform steps (like the wooden ones at big playgrounds) and older kids can climb up the outside rungs. It wasn't cheap, but my son loves it. We got it when he was ~16 months old, and he was climbing all the way to the top within the first half hour. They also have fences you can put off to block the sides if you are worried about them falling. The address is www.cedarworks.com For the original poster - they also have some deals for twins!

Valerie
    Mom to Jonas 2-21-02

lisam Guest

We also purchased a Cedarworks set for our 2+ year-old. He loves it! It was definitely on the expensive side, but I figure we'll get many years of use out of it. We were debating between Cedarworks and Rainbow and went with Cedaworks because of the Sure Step platforms (mentiond by previous poster) and because the northern white cedar is totally maintenance-free.

Lisa
    & Jack, 4/20/01
    & Little-brother-to-be, e.d.d., 12/15/03