DMSpeed Guest

Default Little Tikes Playcenter Playset

My in-laws want to buy our two-year-old son a playset of some kind for Christmas. They suggested the Little Tikes Playcenter Playground, which is about $800 (includes $100 shipping) on the website they sent me a link to. It appears to be a plastic version of the Rainbow/Cedarworks play systems. I think $800 is their maximum price range (and I certainly don't want to say, "hey, have you considered investing $1500 in a wood playset?"). I don't really know anything about swing sets; this one is rated ages 3-10. I wondered if anyone had one of these and if it seems like a playset that will accomodate multiple ages of kids. My son just turned 2 and we have a second baby on the way this February. I'd like it if he could play on his Christmas present right away, but I didn't know if it was dangerous to have a playset above his age limit, or if that just means I'll need to watch extra carefully.
    Any input would be much appreciated! :)

mom2kandj Guest

Default RE: Little Tikes Playcenter Playset

If you prefer the more expensive wooden set, you might want to ask them to wait two or three years so that they can combo the gift for both kids. If you wait until it is age appropriate (or close) for both kids, they will be able to use it together. I know that when DD gets a present that is not age appropriate for DS, DS shows no interest and by the time the toy is age appropriate for him, DD is no longer interested. My little guy is a climber and though he does play well on equipment designed for older kids, I MUST keep a watchful eye on him all the time! I'd probably wait until the kids are 5 & 3, but that's just my two cents! :) HTH!

Rose
    mom 2 Katie (34 months)
    & Jack (18 months)

KUvsOU Guest

Another thought is maybe they could buy him something less expensive that he can play with now and then later put more money towards a more expensive play system for both kids. My son is almost seventeen months and we just bought the Little Tikes Hide and Slide Climber to use inside. The ages for this are 2 to 6 years of age; however, it seemed like in some of the reviews I read people had bought it for younger children. We only paid about $95 for it. My son loves this toy and could hardly wait for me to put it together.

I bought our climber from First Family Direct and they seemed to have the best prices and did not charge addition for shipping. Below is a link to their website:

http://store.yahoo.com/familyfirstdi...e/coourpr.html

They sell the playground you mentioned for $748.88.

In addition, I have also seen good reviews for the Little Tikes 8-in-1 Adjustable Playground.

Shawna
    Mom of Cade 6/16/02

sweetbasil Guest

We told family that this year for Christmas, we'd love $ to get the boys a Rainbow PlaySystem. DS#2 uses DS#1's baby toys, clothes, etc., and DS#1 just got a ton of new clothes & toys for his birthday, so we thought this would be a good gift. Everyone has been glad to know of something they could pitch in on- we've explained that we don't expect anyone to buy the whole thing, but cumulative gifts toward a set like this would be perfect (while we'll still probably pay for the majority of its cost). It will last the boys a long time, and even better, give them something fun to do outside--- together! Sorry if I'm complicating things for you with another option ;)

HTH,