Thread: Oven Saftey

Erica Guest

Default Oven Saftey

I am looking for a way to stop my 15 month old son from opening the oven door. Our oven has cabinets on both sides, (a slide-in) and all the oven latches seem to only work on ovens that have one side free. No matter how many times I tell him "No, hot!!!!" He still thinks it's a fun toy. Please help!

Pam Guest

Default RE: Oven Saftey

Is your over self-cleaning? If so, you can use the lock latch for the cleaning cycle as a safety latch. What about a broomstick vertically through the door handle to the floor -- try to open the door and it would hit the bottom of the oven and stop.

kristin Guest

Default RE: Oven Safety

We gate our tiny kitchen closed when we have the oven on,
    as we are just as worried about our children running underfoot
    in our kitchen when we are draining the pasta, etc.

mkkrum Guest

We have the same trouble with the dishwasher (no lock, only a latch he mastered before 12 mo!). I use the lock on the self-cleaning oven when it's off, but that doesn't do me much good when I need to actually cook in the oven.

I have considered the appliance "latches" but have only seen velcro ones. Geez, like he didn't master that one already!

Will be interested to read others' suggestions.

mk

MrsGriffin Guest

We used a bungy cord and hooked it on the cabnet handles on either side of the oven. The cord stretches across the oven door and the tension keeps the door closed. We unhook one side when we want to use it. It's not perfect, but it works for us.

IansMom04 Guest

Hello
    We have the exact same problem for our oven, and dishwasher too. The oven isn't self cleaning...so there isn't a latch there at all. I have been using the multipurpose straps by Safety First.. they are not meant for ovens though and I have melted 2 already..accidentally shut them in the door when the over was on.. They do work nicely if you don't melt them.. though my 19 month old can now latch and unlatch them at will.

Same problem with dishwasher..help!

Michelle Guest

Default RE: Oven Safety

My 2 year old just discovered opening the oven. He figured out the cleaning-lock switch several months ago b/c it makes a buzzing noise which causes our dog to jump! Finally figured out a way to keep the oven closed. Took a extra-wide rubber band, like from grocery store produce, wrapped it around & through itself on the oven handle, then looped the end over the cleaning latch. Good luck!

repenka Guest

I just ordered saftey Oven locks from saftey first online from safetydepot.com. Comes with 2 locks on for each side of the oven. It was only $3.45. Well worth the investment. Just though I would pass along the info to some other momms out there.

RP