docreeler Guest

Default pantry door locks/guards

We have a pantry with doors that have hinges in the middle so that the doors fold outward when they are opened. I have seen a child lock for such doors; but they must be put on top of the doors. Our doors are too tall for me to reach their tops without getting a step stool to climb on, so I would prefer not to use the one lock I have seen advertised. Does anyone have any ideas for how to child-proof these doors? Any help would be greatly appreciated! All I can think of right now would be to loop a wire chain and lock intended for bicycles between the handles of the two doors, and then unlock and unloop the chain every time I wished to get into the pantry (which would be several times a day). That, too, would be a pain to operate, but at least it wouldn't involve getting out a step stool.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may come up with!

- Lynn

hellollama Guest

Default RE: pantry door locks/guards

We used a hook and eye over the foling part of the door. You could also use a sliding bolt. You have to put holes in your door, but it works like a charm.

jal is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Default RE: pantry door locks/guards

I too was thinking about those hook and eye locks that are frequently seen on shutters, you know the kind where the hook mearly spins around and mounts very flush to the door.

Example found with a quick Google search: [L]http://www.van****s.com/product/02002666/[/L]