cccat Guest

Default Child safety harness

Hi,

Never thought I'd ever consider using this...but now I am, seriously. I found only one thread, dated back in 2003, discussing safety harnesses. Will appreciate if anyone can add to the advice, experience, and suggestions.

TIA.

JElaineB is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Child safety harness

I've used them on DS but only at airports when DS was around 2. I probably would consider it for other croweded places too if needed. I just got a cheap one at Walmart with Elmo on it. We actually didn't use it on our most recent trip in March, we brought it but never ended up putting it on. When I did use it is was good though, it let DS run around and burn off some energy on a long layover, and I didn't to worry about him getting away from me.

Jennifer
    mom to Jacob 9/27/02

bettyetters Guest

Hi,

We have this really cool one - called O'Pair. It's a pair of Fanny Packs that connect.

https://www.inventiveparent.com/opair.htm

I don't use it often but just recently used it at the zoo and we had a much more enjoyable trip with my 2 1/2 year old able to walk but not have to hold our hands and us not have to fear her running off. I always get compliments on it when I use it, since it's such a unique design.

Betty

cccat Guest

Hi Betty,

Did you get the cat, frog, or pig? They're really cute but am not sure if DH will wear any one of them. I like O'Pair because it frees up both hands. Here are some questions:

How big are the fanny packs? Do they have compartments? What kind of material are they made of? Have you compared this design and the around-the-child's-chest, half-H-shaped design? Will the around-the-chest design hold the child better in case of a fall?

Cecilia

luvbeinmama Guest

momtoB is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We bought one several months ago right after ds started walking. I intended to use it on a trip to Walt Disney World. Well that trip we never really needed it because although he was mobile he still hadn't gotten his "running" legs yet and he protested every time we tried to put it on him anyway. Our last trip to WDW at 21 months was a different story, however. I was SO glad we had it. He wanted to run everywhere, refused to hold our hands however much we tried, and so we just put the harness on him and let him "run". In the airport while waiting for the plane, he loved to walk up and down the "people mover" thing (the one that's sort of like an escalator only flat). We saved him from many a skinned knee because we kept the leash short and if he started to fall we could "catch" him with it. It was also very useful at WDW because he loves the characters but doesn't understand the concept of waiting your turn and he knew as long as he had it on he couldn't really leave our side (instead of running up to a character before his turn and ruining someone elses experience). We used it pretty much everywhere on our last trip. He really didn't mind it and it was nice to have something beside his shirt to grab onto if you know what I mean. :) We plan on using it on other outings as well because sometimes he just doesn't care to be in the stroller and still doesn't understand the concept of staying by our sides. On the contrary, he loves to be chased and thinks it's just a game to run from us, so the leash is a very nice thing to have in some circumstances.

One caveat, I have seen some posts about the wrist type leashes that have a stretchy cord. Those are not recommended for a few reasons - 1) they can be a tripping hazzard in a crowded situation, if the child walks too far away. I have heard about this happening and have seen it almost happen. This could hurt the child and the other person involved as well.
    2) since it's attached to the arm, that is body part your pulling on which could injure the child whereas the harness type distributes their weight across their body, making injury much, much less likely.

hth!
    Cheryl
    ds-4/21/03