Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Andrea S is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default 2nd Birthday Parties

What did you/or are you planning for 2nd b-days??

Andrea
    mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Default RE: 2nd Birthday Parties

We decided not to do anything major. DS has a good buddy from day care (Henry) whose birthday is two days before his. We are good friends with Henry's parents, so we are having a joint party this Sunday at a little park in our neighborhood. We invited all the kids from their class, plus parents and sibs. We enclosed a note with the invitations asking guests to bring a new or gently used, unwrapped children's book INSTEAD of a gift, and we will donate the books to the pediatric ward of the hospital where Henry's mother works.

We are serving cheese and crackers, fruit, cake, and lemonade. We are not giving away goody bags or planning special games (but we are bringing bubbles and balls)--we really just wanted the opportunity to let the kids play and to get to know the other parents a little better.

DH is taking DS to visit his family in New Orleans in a few weeks, and there will be a family celebration there with all adults except for three cousins ranging in age from 9-18 months.
    Hallie
    DS #1 5/02
    DS #2 1/05
    DD 8/09

raynjen Guest

Well, I felt kind of bad about N's first birthday, so I really wanted to make her 2nd one memorable. Having said that, I didn't spend a ton of money either.

We did a VeggieTales theme. I used plain red, yellow, and green decorations (streamers, balloons, tablecloths, napkins, cups, etc.) to keep the cost down. For the 'themed' elements I bought a Happy Birthday sign, plates, invites, 'sprinkles' for the table, and cake. My friend made the cake for $25 and it turned out awesome (see below).

We invited three friends from playgroup/church along with their parents and siblings, some adult friends of ours (who honestly begged to come - really!), and a couple of strays (we are always on the lookout for stray people :))

I printed out coloring pages off the VeggieTales website and put those along with a bunch of crayons in seperate cups on our coffee table (covered in a table cloth to catch all the stray marks). When all the kids arrived we played 'Pin the Nose on Larry' (which I made on poster board and covered in contact paper). Then all the kids got guest 'badges' that said things like 'Super Duper Colorer'.

I made a compilation of VeggieTales songs that were playing in the background this whole time. On the middle of the CD were a bunch of motion songs (If Your Happy and You Know It, The Hokey Pokey, Head Shoulders Knees and Toes, etc) so all the kids (and some adults) danced and sang along.

While we were dancing DH was preparing the cake in the kitchen. I had put two layers of table cloth on the coffee table (which had been moved to our dining are for this purpose) so we just pulled off the one with the crayon marks and Viola! clean table. The kids each got a slice of cake and a cup of ice cream (the kind that comes prepackaged in cups - so no scooping) a brand new Take'n'Toss cup with milk, and a Pampers disposable bib. The adults got cake and veggie pizza (croissant crust, cream cheese spread, raw veggie toppings).

Then we opened gifts. As soon as possible after the gifting I popped in a VeggieTales movie for the kids to watch to distract them from the toys and give the adults some time to catch up. It sound like a lot, but we kept the party to under two hours. Of course, some of the adults without kids lingered on afterwards to chit-chat, but they helped clean up too.

The kids got a goody bag with a 1/4 sized coloring book, fresh pack of crayons, bouncy ball, 'blowout' (not a noise maker), and a car.

One thing a did that kept me from going crazy - I asked one of my childless friends beforehand if she would photograph the party for me. I didn't have to worry about doing 4 things at once AND I got some pretty awesome photos! By the way, hands down the balloons were the favorite part of the whole party. We didn't have a lot to take down afterwards as so many of them were pulled into play!

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

One photo showing, the rest are just attached.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6375.jpg

What a FUN party!! My dd also loves Veggie Tales (BOB!) and we really didn't do anything exciting for her birthday.

I made a cake which we ate after one of her favorite suppers and then her dad, sister and I watched her open gifts.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Andrea S is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Looks like a fun party.

Andrea
    mom to Andrew 8/14/02

Karenn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Honestly, we're really not planning much. We'll have the grandparents, aunt & uncle over for dinner, cake & ice cream, open presents and play. That invitation list includes all of his favorite people. :) I figure there are plenty of other years to have birthdays with little friends. For now, we're keeping it low key and just family.

Jen- that cake is adorable! It's funny- Colin loves the Veggie Tales music, but he wouldn't recognize Bob or Larry in a million years since we haven't watched the movies yet!

nigele is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We are definitely having an Elmo birthday party!!! Beyond that, I'm not sure what we'll do but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. What a timely post!

I rented a party room at a local preschool. It has a moonwalk, bouncy ball pit, a play town (each room has a theme with different dress up/dramatic play toys), ride on toys, lego table, etc.. It is awesome. We have a bunch of kiddies and I did not want to do anything at my home since the kids love to run around. It will be from 10 am - 12pm on a Saturday. I opted to bring my own food (cupcakes & juice) but they offer cake & paper goods as well. Matthew loves Thomas the Tank so that will be the theme...

-Melissa
    Mom to M (2002) & M (2014)

Kimberly H Guest

Mia's second birthday (first with us) falls on Thanksgiving this year. Great for symbolism, lousy for parties. I'm not sure what we're going to do so I'll be watching this thread.

I want to be Jen when I grow up - she's got all the super cool ideas!

hjdong Guest

Jamie's actual 2nd brithday (first with us also) will be very low key. However, he will be having, not one, but two red egg and ginger parties this summer - one where we live and one with the in-laws. This is a chinese banquet usually given to celebrate a child's first month of life and is where the baby is named. Since it's traditionally given for a 1 month old, it's not very kid friendly. Luckily, Jamie loves food so he should be happy. Actually, it makes me feel kind of old to be throwing a banquet rather than receiving one (wedding) or attending one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast