Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    muskiesusan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Nick's Construction Party..

A little late, but I am cleaning up my photos on my computer so I thought I would post for ideas.

The kids' cake was crumbled chocolate cake w/ pudding to look like dirt. We served it in individual dump trucks. Nick's candles were tools. The adult cake, in the big truck, was a trifle.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29067.jpg

Party favors were tool belts. The kids also got construction hats and the truck their cake was in. Probably spent $4 per child.
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29068.jpg

I used extra construction hats as bowls for things like chips and decorated with construction cones throughout.

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

Default RE: Nick's Construction Party..

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!! That is the cutest thing I have ever seen! We're not doing a party but we were going to order a construction themed cake. I have a truck lover as well. I might have to steal your idea ;) Thanks for sharing and Happy belated birthday to your boy.

ETA: Where did you find the tool candles?
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Thank you. All the kids loved eating their cake out of the trucks and it was very easy for me-who cared how neat the cake was! I got the idea from Family Fun.

I got the candles at Michaels, and at $5, it was the most expensive single item!

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

Thanks Susan. I'm going to try and find the candles. I bought a truck yesterday for the cake. I'm really excited about this project!
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

Default Very cute - where did you find the small trucks?

Very cute party! Thanks so much for sharing your idea and pictures. We are doing a vehicle theme with trucks, trains and fire engines. I may have to "borrow" your truck idea. Where did you happen to find the small trucks? They look like the ones that Target carries with the sandbox stuff during the summer but I can't find them now. Did you happen to have the small yellow construction hats at your party? I wanted to get them from Oriental Trading but they're out of stock.

Thanks!

Default RE: Very cute - where did you find the small trucks?

I picked up some of the trucks at Dollar General and the rest at an independent toy store for $1 (I thought it funny they both sold the yellow ones, but the toy store versions had a sticker on the side). I got the construction hats at Party City.

What are you doing for the fire engine part of your party? That's our theme this year!

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check Dollar General for the trucks. I found the construction hats at Party City this morning. Next year I'm definitely sticking to one specific theme. It's been hard to find train stuff that's not pricey. The paper goods were just too cute to pass up on though!

There are quite a few fire engine favors out there. Oriental Trading has hats, stickers, notepads - lots of little goodies revolving around fire trucks. I've called my local fire station to see if they can come out to the party. The lady wasn't sure if they do that anymore but lots of folks have posted online about doing it at their parties in the past. Target has some new merchandise in their dollar area that includes board books about emergency vehicles (cleared them out of those!), those little sponges that "grow" in water (these are different types of vehicles), and a package with little notepads that have an army truck, fire engine, police car and ambulance. I also have a fire truck cookie cutter that I'll use to make a decorated cookie for each guest and I have some fire engine candy molds. I'm trying to find some good clip art of trains, fire engines and dump trucks to make a luggage tag for each guest.

Have you checked birthdaypartyideas.com? They have lots of ideas although I admit I forgot about them until after I had settled on most of the details for the party.

kmty Guest

Hi Susan,

I've been thinking about a construction party for my three year old. Everything looks really cute!

What sorts of activities did you do for your party?

Kathy

Thank you for the info. Our Target never has the stuff others post about, I was there this morning and they had nothing! I got the hats, but I want to find badges.

I did check out birthdaypartyideas.com. I got lots of ideas about the invite from them. I am also going to call our fire department, but the party will be small, so I'm not sure if it is worth it or not.

Thanks!

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

I don't do much in terms of activites at this age. We are lucky that we have a big playset surrounded by pea gravel, so the kids were pretty happy to play there all afternoon (we have lots of trucks and shovels). I told them it was the construction site!

Susan
    Mom to Nick 10/01
    & Alex 04/04

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast