vas2fl Guest

Default Suzuki violin method

Valerie R

Does anyone have any experience with the Suzuki classes (maybe with an older child)? Did your child like them? How young?

tks.

Default RE: Suzuki violin method

I realize that this is a very late reply, but I just started looking into this myself. According to the Suzuki site, starting between ages 2 and 3 is ideal. Traditional violin training generally begins between ages 6 and 10. I do know that there is a very active Suzuki community in my area. An acquaintance of mine had a 4-year-old son who took Suzuki violin. He was so-so about it, but he was learning. I think she was sick of hearing Twinkle Twinkle all the time. I'm not sure what we're going to do. I am intrigued with the idea, though. However, I am a strong believer in being able to read music, so I would encourage piano later.

http://www.suzukimusicacademy.com/
    Mommy to Justin (13 years) & Ashlyn (8 years)

Musicmom Guest

Hi. I have teaching private music lessons for a long time and have done Suzuki teacher training. Every teacher who uses the Suzuki philosophy is different. For example, I teach music reading from the start-but not everyone does. Ask to observe some lessons of beginners to see to evaluate the teacher. Just FYI, many teachers use the Suzuki music but have not been teacher-trained. You can contact the Suzuki Association of the Americas for teachers in your area.

Dr. Suzuki's books are great (and very fast) reads for anyone interested in education. "Nurtured by Love" will really give you a feel for the philosphy.

Orff and Kindermusik are both group classes which teach the fundamentals of music to preschoolers. If you want to do music with your child but aren't sure they're ready for a specific instrument these are great. I've been doing Kindermusik for 20 months with our 2 year old through our city Parks & Rec (at a very reasonable price.)
    Katie

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There is a great personal experience article in Brain, Child magazine this month about a Mom whose little girl who takes Suzuki violin lessons. A great read and the whole magazine is worth checking out.
    Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13