Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone homeschool or thinking about it?

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. I'm wondering if anyone here has ever homeschooled or is also thinking about it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

COElizabeth Guest

Default RE: Anyone homeschool or thinking about it?

Beth,

I don't know too terribly much about it and can't say I have much interest in it right now, but if you like, I will put you in touch with a friend (my sister's best friend growing up) who has 7 children (the oldest is about 9!) and homeschools the older ones. She used to be a teacher, so I guess she had good preparation for it, but she still amazes me and my sister.

FWIW, when I volunteered at the local children's hospital, I met about three homeschooled children who volunteered both with and without their parents. Homeschooling obviously gave them more scheduling flexibility so they could do things like that. They were all exceptionally mature, polite, and well-behaved, I thought (though I met some very mature junior volunteers who went to public school, too - I by no means think homeschooling is the only way to produce a mature child!). They were quite active in other social activities like Boy Scouts.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

raynjen Guest

I don't yet have any personal experience, but we are certainly keeping an open mind to homeschooling.

My last two bosses both had homeschooled children. My most recent boss has 9 ranging from 18 to 2. They were all mature well adjusted children who were social ept (is that a word? - the opposite of inept). I've met many home schooled children and have been very impressed with them overall. All of the parents decided for different reasons. One family traveled around as part of the Dad's job - lived in a big RV, another chose to for religous reasons, another because the school system was not supporting their dyxlexic child.

The reason we are considering homeschooling as an option is that my husband is in the military and we move every three years. Unfortunately most military bases are in the worst parts of town (read underfunded schools). We've talked about assessing each location - what's available? will he be deploying a lot? how much are the private schools? etc.

I am very impressed with the DODS (dept. of defense schools) that we have here in Okinawa, but these are generally not available in the states. I have one friend who decided to homeschool so that when dad deployed they could sometimes go with him (and learn about that area of the country) and if they couldn't go with him the mom could take the kids and go stay with family. Also they could take vacations around dad's schedule (the military is notorious for sending guys away during Thanksgiving, Christmas, Summer break...)

Don't know if that helps at all, we are still formulating our thoughts on it. I've bought several books and talked to a lot of people, but that is about it.

Jen in Okinawa
    Mom to Noelle (10/25/01)

Beth-since our mini-discussion last week on the yahoo group I have become somewhat obsessed with homeschooling. I checked 6 books out of the library and have already read most of them. We have a long time to decide still, but at this point I think it is a very real possibility. It turns out dh has always been really intrigued with the idea which I didn't know. Public school is simply not an option where I live, and I had always assumed we would use private schools (there are very good ones here that my siblings and I attended) but the cost is staggering. If I want to continue to stay home and if we have more kids, I have no idea how we would swing it and have anything left for retirement, college, food. Since I started thinking about it, it seems like it might be an even better choice for reasons beyond finances. I have yet to mention it to my parents who will probably be appalled. Anyway, I would love to chat further via email or next time we have a dc area get together-
    Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

redhookmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I was homeschooled, went to public school and private school. The one I enjoyed the most was homeschool!

I would love to homeschool. I have picked out curr., explored methods, but it all amounts to nothing since DH really dislikes the idea. The public school where we live is great so my children will most likely go there. Unless I decide homeschooling is really what I want I could wear DH down. Not sure if I want to go down that
    road.

Molly
    pack of kids ranging from age 1 to age 13

Thanks for the info all! Its also good to hear from a former home schooler who thinks well of the experience! I know two families that have done this and all their kids were amazingly bright, articulate and self-assured.

Many of my reasons for considering it are similar to Jen's. We tend to move every 2-4 years, and I am just puzzling how that is going to work when DD is school age. I would hate to yank her in and out of schools every few years. But it is the nature of DH's industry for people to change jobs and move around frequently.

I would also like to be able to pick an area to live in without having to worry about the quality of the school district. And private school is a luxury that me being at home doesn't support. (At least not the types of schools I would seriously consider anyway.)

We also really like to travel. A lot. It is a large and important part of our life, and traditional school would make that very difficult. But travel like that would be a fabulous complement to a homeschool experience.

Also, I can honestly say that I learned extremely little in school (before college). My mother taught me a lot and I taught myself a lot out of books that I read. The more research I do, the more I see that schools as they are structured today make real learning very difficult. Just my opinion obviously, and I don't havea thing against teachers. But I just think its impossible to dublicate the one on one learning that could happen at home with the traditional school experience.

Well, lots to think about in the next 2-3 years!
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I'm currently homeschooling Adrienne. She's in kindergarten this year. We're both enjoying it. :D

We made the decision to homeschool for several reasons. I explained them at length in the thread in the baby lounge. :D Mostly religious, better education at home (we feel) and because there's a huge support for homeschooling in our city. :D

Read the "Well Trained Mind". :D I plan to follow that style of teaching. :D
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Funny, I'n reading "The Well Trained Mind" right now. :) I think that if we do this, I am going to fall more on the "unschooling with a mix of unit studies" kinda thing. But I like the emphasis on the classics in TWTM as well, so I think it would be nice to somehow work those ideas in as well.

I'm not sure how homeschooling friendly VA is, but I am not certain where we'll be living when DD starts school anyway.

nathansmom Guest

I am considering it. I'd be doing it for sure but dh isn't thrilled with the idea. I will be homeschooling preschool and we'll see how that goes.
    I've been reading alot on the subject and I'm totally on board with homeschooling.

joemama Guest

I was homeschooled from 5th grade through high school. I will definitely be homeschooling my kids. I feel like I was better able to develop my own personality as a teenager, since I didn't have constant pressure from my peers. An added benefit was that I could take as much or as little time as I needed to fully comprehend my studies. I often had plenty of time to pursue other interests and take on extra household responsibility.

I think I was more prepared to go out on my own than many of my peers at college, who didn't really know how to handle their new responsibilities. I want the same for my children, so I will be schooling them at home.

There are so many resources for home/unschooling. Just search the web and your local libraries! :) Here is a website I've found helpful: http://home-ed-magazine.com/

joemama...and ellie, too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast