Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    workaholic Guest

Default RE: When did your child start attending preschool programs?

Cooper just started Playschool 2 weeks ago. He just turned two and loves it. For some reason at church he cries when I leave him but he runs right in to his playschool class and doesn't look back. He even hates leaving. Go figure. I just thought it was time for him to learn to play with other kids. Being around myself and my sister-in-law was making him a little BOSSY.

Aimee Larsen
    Momma to Cooper
    Crossing fingers for another...
    Owner: Ella-Bags

Kaitlin will go to Mom's Day Out at a preschool next year (she turns 2 in Dec.). She will go one day/week from 9 am-2 pm, although the last two hours is naptime so I may pick her up before then as she already quit napping.

It is CRAZY in Dallas with regard to schools. People have their kids interview for preschools when they're 2 & pay thousands (7 or8) for special montessori schools. We're, um, not going that route and it was hard to even find a place where we could just do one day a week.
    Kim

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, the school we want is $6600 for a 3 morning program. =(

Anyway, one thing they mentioned to us is that even non-nappers may want to nap after school b/c they'll be exhausted from a morning of toddler-negotiations.

mom2kandj Guest

The Montessori that we were looking at for DD is $525 per month for 3 half days. (Talk about schmancy, when we went to observe, I noticed 3 toddlers in head to toe Baby Lulu and there was my DH in Target play clothes!) DH really wants her to go there, but she attended a Lutheran preschool this spring and will likely continue there 3 half days per week at $210 per month.

Rose
    mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
    & Jack 04/16/02

Melanie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours is a Waldorf school...Dh also really wants Ds go to there, but I would have to go to work full time and have him there 50 hours a week, so it's not going to happen. Hopefully the good preschool with the worded labels on everything piece of equipment in the place won't mess him up for life. ;-)

I don't know anything about Waldorf schools, except a dear friend of mine visited one and I think she loved it.

The woman at our preschool also told me that kids often go with the naps b/c the other kids are doing it. I'm definitely going to try to have her nap there but she's a big sleep fighter & I'm not so sure it will work.

Good luck making your decision. I know it is a hard one.
    Kim

Sarah1 Guest

Audrey turns 2 in November, and this fall we are starting a parent/toddler class at the preschool affiliated w/our synagogue, which is where we want her to attend preschool. It's twice a week, each class is an hour & 15 minutes in length, and the tuition (I have to laugh calling this tuition) is about $800 for the year.

Because we are taking the parent/toddler class, this gives us priority for the next stage of preschool (they have a program for 2 1/2 year olds, and another for 3 year olds). As someone else mentioned, it's a little ridiculous how fast some of these schools can fill up. We registered for this class (which starts in mid-September) in February, and it was completely full by mid-March. It definitely isn't too early to start asking around about preschools.

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Diego is only 14.5 months so I realy had not been thinking of preschool but was considering Mother's Day Out when #2 comes along....which will not be for awhile since we are not even TTC. But I want D to continue socializing with other kids b/c right now we do The Little Gym, play group and various other play dates through out the week. However, I just found out that a Creme de la Creme preschool is opening down the street from our house!!! I know it is super expensive and I chose to quit working b/c DH and I strongly believe that having a parent at home when a child is young is extremely beneficial but as a parent you want your child to have every advantage.......does that mean a super expensive preschool??? I don't know if they have parent/toddler classes there that sounds like a great alternative for the time being. BTW, D hates being away from me....so separation would be big issue. He hates when I leave him at the nursery at my fitness center but he has to learn to be away from mommy even if it is only a short while. So I think he would just be in tears if I left him at preschool but EVENTUALLY he would get used to it. :)

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you might be surprised Christine. Sarah is very clingy, but she has loved preschool from day 1. The atmosphere is very different and the teachewrs are trained to help kids transition away from being at home.

And in my book, a super expensive preschool does not equal better. I have very definite views of what makes a good school. Most important to me are age appropriate play and warm, caring teachers. Neither of those are expensive. In fact, I don't like many expensive programs because they often are filled with programs that are catered to appeal to parents, not what is most appropriate for the children.

HTH,
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2