Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default how do you now or plan on schooling?

i was just wondering what everyone does or is planning on doing for schooling. it has been a very hot topic in our house for the past few weeks. my older ds goes to preschool at church. my younger ds will probably go to. we had to decide between homeschooling and private and we finally came to our decision that we are going to homeschool for now. when the boys are older they may choose to go to school but it wont be public. public schools by us are horrible and that is an understatement. so i just wondered what other mamas are going to do :)

MegND95 Guest

Default RE: how do you now or plan on schooling?

For now, my kids will attend the public schools. My oldest is in first grade, and I am very happy with the system. We thought about private (catholic) school, which is what I did all the way through college. But, finacially, it's just not in the picture. Maybe for one kid, but not all three!

When we moved to the Chicago burbs from NC, we specifically chose this district, as the schools are pretty good, and the homes were fairly affordable. We pay so much in property tax, the schools better be decent!

Depending on what happens over the years, I think we will consider private high school, though.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I plan on dropping DD off in the woods and letting her run wild with a pack of wolves. :+

Unless something major happens between now and the time DD starts elementary school (other than relocation, which is already planned), we intend on having our children attend public schools.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I voted other, I'm not sure where charter schools would fall in the survey. Years ago there's no way I would ever consider a charter school, but there are some in the area that have a great repuation.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

We have great public schools where we are, so public school it is. I also like the idea that DS is going to go a school full of diverse kids and have a lot of social interaction.

-Ry,
    mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
    and Max, 01/05/06

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/34550.gif
    http://b1.lilypie.com/aKGqm5/.png[/img]

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We bought our home 2 yrs ago because of the schools. ( ok and we really liked the home too) The elementary is the highest scoring in the county and Logan & Connor didnt have to change middle schools. The high school offers alot and has a great college entry record.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Lynnie is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I voted public, but if DS doesn't get into the public magnet commuter elementary school for kindergarten next year (which is selected by lottery) we will probably have to do private because the one right by my house is AWFUL. It'll be a very large financial sacrifice, but I figure, its like continuing to pay for a more expensive day care, and there is just no way I will allow him to go to the school by our house.

The magnet one would be so great. It is very diverse, and is a dual language program with the international baccalaureate (sp) program, and has an orchestra, and very involved parents and dedicated teachers. Its only five minutes from my work, and has aftercare with activities.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know, so I voted other. I'd like to try homeschooling for pre-school, although not real school but just teaching the kids the basics that they'll need. It seems school is so many years and I don't think I want to add on to that.

I like the idea of homeschooling to give the boys a customized experience matched to their needs, and more practical / applied knowledge, and more downtime (I remember being bored in school a lot.)

But, our public schools seem to be good and DH is pushing for a basic public education. He's hung up on socialization, but there are enough organized activities that I could enroll our son in many things that they'd have an active social life -- karate, soccer, music groups, religious ed,etc. etc. etc. etc.

Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

cmdunn1972 Guest

We're trying to decide between an independent private school in our town and our parochial (Catholic) school. I think funding will be the deciding factor, and we'll send DS to the independent school assuming we can afford it, since their matriculation rates are stellar.

Public schools in our area aren't anything to write home about, so we didn't seriously consider that option for DS.

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

>I plan on dropping DD off in the woods and letting her run
    >wild with a pack of wolves. :+
    >

omg, roflmao :)
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast