Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: how do you now or plan on schooling?

we were also hung up on the social interaction part but we looked into it and are very lucky that our city has a wonderful network for homeschooling and plenty of groups and activities. also when they are older they can participate in a homeschool "elective" corses at the lutheran academy. stuff like band and woodworking and stuff like that. that was the deal maker right there, all the wonderful options we had open for homeschooling.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We, fortunately, live in a very good school district, so I am planning to send DS to a public school. But we are thinking of sending him to a private preschool and maybe kindergarten - the preschool is run through our park district, which isn't the greatest, though I haven't heard any parents complain about the preschool program. I also just found out that, as of right now, (with residency divisions being what they are), DS would only be able to attend kindergarten in the afternoon, so we'll see how that fits into our lives when we get to it and if we can't do it, we have the option of a private kindergarten (though first choice would be to send him to the public school).
    Traci
    ~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
    Agency paperwork completed - waiting (and waiting) for another baby!

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Most likely private. Unless something dramatically changes. We've been doing the local private school circuit in the fall for the last couple of years and so far, we're leaning toward a school that is one of the only ones in the country to offer a multilingual program beginning in 6th grade. They do total language immersion in PreK starting at age 3 in either French or Spanish and by 6th grade, they add a second language. Students follow the International Baccalaureate program and are tri-lingual when they graduate from high school.

Default RE: you need another otpion

I HAVE NO IDEA. at some point....i will have to figure it out *sigh*

hez is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Public schools-- we bought a house in one of the best school districts in the area, and it's a big part of why we won't move, even though our commute doubled when they moved our offices.

It helps our decision that both DH and I did well in public schools. My dad went to Catholic schools and did great, so I consider it an option should we decide to change our minds later on.
    Heather
    Mommy to DS (9/03) and DD (5/08)

aguinn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

since DH and i both work at a private independent school (it's a family business), it's kinda a no-brainer. that is unless one of our boys has more specialized needs, and then they'd still be going to private school, just not ours.

i went to private school my whole life, mostly because we lived over-seas for many years and i went to various international schools and a DoD HS. i didn't go to public school until college!

DH went to the elementary school where we now work, and then private HS. he also went to private college, a conservatory in CA.

i'd be afraid to send our boys to our local public elementary schools. we hear nightmare stories from the families that apply at our school about how their children are poorly treated and hardly educated, as it seems the only way kids learn anything here in MA is on their own - teachers teach to "the test" (MCAS) here. and our local public HS has not been accredited for nearly 8 years!

amy
    momma to DS#1 "Big Brother" (BB) and, finally, DS#2 "Little Brother" (LB)

http://b4.lilypie.com/3dP3m4/.png[/img][/url]
    http://b1.lilypie.com/ur0Am4/.png[/img][/url]

"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see." ~ Neil Post

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our most recent move has us in an excellent school district so we will most likely end up going with the public schools. If we move back to the area where we really want to live, we will probably go the private Catholic route because the public schools aren't as good as we would like.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

pittsburghgirl Guest

DS goes to preschool at our church, but then will go to public school. The main reason we bought our house in our suburb is the quality of the schools. We have some friends who live in fantastic houses in the city, but they will be playing the magnet school lottery game when the time comes - if they don't get into the magnet, their kids will go to a Catholic school.

Marilee
    mommy to James
    http://b3.lilypie.com/CSwdm4.png

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Assuming we send DD to preschool AND pre-K it will be private, not necessarily religious, but could be. After that we want her to go to public school. So we are looking at regions that have good K-12 school districts.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

mommyoftwo Guest

Well, it will depend on where we end up after DH is done with residency. I was homeschooled through fifth grade and while my parents did try to involve us in other things and the public school system by us was terrible, it was incredibly difficult for me when I started going to a real school. I think it is nearly impossible to homeschool all the way through high and still get a good education. Both my parents have teaching degrees so I got a fairly good education but I know they couldn't have taught me all of the math and science that I learned in high school. Unless I have absolutely no other choice, we will not be homeschooling. I had so many gaps in my knowledge base and had some many problems fitting in. No matter what kind of network you have set up for homeschooling, it's just not the same thing as actually attending school whether it is private or public. I'm not saying that homeschooling is wrong, but I do think that my parent's choice caused me a great deal of problems growing up.

ETA: I also attended a private Christian school and a public school and the public school was by far the best experience for me. I had the advantage of attending a school that was in a good school district though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast