Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Sillygirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: how do you now or plan on schooling?

I've only just started thinking about this. I went to a public school in DC up until ninth grade. Elementary school was fine, but junior high was just awful and my parents have always really regretted sending me there. I went to a small private high school that was wonderful.

I worry about the impact of No Child Left Behind. I read a lot about how science and art and recess are being pushed aside so the teachers can teach endlessly to the test. Also how gifted and talented programs are getting cut back because all the funding goes to keeping everyone at grade level. Of course, there are no guarantees that G&T is something Jonathan would benefit from or even qualify for, but I'm assuming my kids are going to be smart. :P

Anyway, those articles might be written with a particular political axe to grind, and I haven't got direct experience yet. We'll be moving in a year and I will definitely investigate the public school system wherever we go. But so far I have been thinking about a Montessori approach for the first few years.

Raised by wolves sounds good, too. Would have been a lot better than my junior high experience.
    Katie, Mom to two boys
    Retraining my dopamine circuits thanks to David Kessler, MD.
    Jonathan: Halloween 2004
    Alex: A smidge past Groundhog Day 2007

We homeschool and will continue to as long as it still works. I went thru public schools and got to college with huge gaps in my education. I'm working hard to make sure that my girls don't have the same gaps.

Homeschooling is recognized in ALL states as "real" school: transcrips, diploma and all.

I think the whole fear that 'homeschool kids aren't socialized' is a bit of a crock. It's not like we sit at home 8 hours out of every day, just talking to each other. My girls are not just spending time with kids who are within a year of themselves in age. We have playdates with kids both older and younger than my girls and kids of all ages can get along great. We also go out and talk to people who are older than the girls: they are not afraid to talk to grownups. I would consider them BETTER socialized than kids that only spend time with their immediate peers, personally.

:stepping off soapbox:
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

it does sound like we live in the same town, sadly. my dh was against homeschooling untill i showed him that i could also have the support of the private lutheran school. once he looked at all the options then he was all for it. not saying that your dh would be ;) isnt it sad what can pass for an education in some areas.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

bcky2 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

yes i forgot to mention that high school is mostly half days around here because of the overpopulation so there would be no elective courses. just the basic stuff. they would only do half a day in the morning or afternoon. i thought that was for kindergarten.
    Becky, mom to hootie and nugget.

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily."

kboyle Guest

i voted public because that's most likely what we'll choose. while the school system here is ok, it's the racial issues right now that are really concerning me. from middle school on i know it's pretty rough, not really gangs, just rougher than the surrounding cities, and how it was when i was in hs here.

i'd love to send the boys to the private catholic school 3 minutes away, but i heard that their curriculum the school in general isn't that great, but it only started a few years ago, so i'm hoping to hear better things about them by the time charlie starts kinder.

the lady i work with and the owners of the company are in a HUGE homeschooling network. the lady that i work with hs her daughter thru hs.

my best friend decided to be "dark & anti-social" our junior year of highschool, and her mom homeschooled her for the year. she loved it. she's decided that when she has kids that for her, it will be the way to go. i know that for charlie right now hs isn't the way to go, he has excelled in preschool soo much and is doing great. i know that they don't teach kids to "read" in preschool, more of a pre-k/kinder thing, but he's gotten sooo good with his letters that he's starting to put 3 letter words together and can recognize simple words (mom dad cat, pig) max on the other hand already seems more of a montessori type learner, more of his own pace, and not like he's doing anything academic yet, but i can tell that it's not going to be as big of a focus or draw as it is for charlie...this one just LOVES to learn academic stuff.

i'm sure that both boys will end up going to public highschool, from k-8 though, i'd like for them to be in the private school near us. but, $$ is the problem. :( if we only have these two little guys, it'll probably be more of an option, but if another cutie comes along we'll probably stick to the public school system. plus, all of our friends kids will be there, so all their friends will be there too.

>yes i forgot to mention that high school is mostly half days
    >around here because of the overpopulation so there would be no
    >elective courses. just the basic stuff. they would only do
    >half a day in the morning or afternoon. i thought that was for
    >kindergarten.

REally Wow! That sucks, huh?

We'll do the public school route as we live in a place with good schools. However, I think if we lived somewhere where the schools weren't that great we would do private school instead of moving or something.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I voted public schools, although to date DD has been enrolled in a private, vaguely religious based preschool (through the JCC) and now a private, secular K program. But as of next school year, our plan is to send her to our local public elementary (still debating K again vs 1st grade).

But I will see how DD is doing at the end of the school year to make further decisions. I am concerned, as other posters have mentioned, about the negative effects of NCLB on the public school system. There is a private school affiliated with the JCC that offers extremely low class sizes and language immersion starting in K, so I am considering that option as well although it is an expensive option. I personally wouldn't consider many of the private schools around here because I think they are too intense. But I do like the idea of her being in a class of 10 vs a class of 28.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4