KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Best Mod Resort in January

My dh is returning in December from a deployment to Iraq. We had planned to stay at Shades of Green since we get a huge military discount. However they are already booked for the days we wanted. Which moderate rate resort is the best? We don't really care about the pools b/c I think it will be too cold in January. I don't mind taking the bus to the parks, but I would prefer to be closer to Magic Kingdom than any other parks. We also plan to go to Universal, do the resorts offer transportation there?
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default RE: Best Mod Resort in January

Did you see this discussion on mods from a few weeks ago?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboar...g_id=567&page=

I thought that if SOG was booked, they would book overflow at other Disney hotels. You might want to ask about that option to keep your (well-earned) discount.

Looking at the map, the Port Orleans resorts are a little closer to MK, although the Unofficial Guide's travel time grid put them a few minutes farther out from MK. But the difference in travel time to MK from each of the mods is only about 5 minutes, so that doesn't really seem like a key decision point.

Disney does not offer transportation to Universal for obvious reasons, but I believe that you can get a Mears charter bus to take you there and back. You might want to look at the Mears website for times and prices (plus reservation information).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

KrystalS is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for the info, I figured that about Universal but thought I would check anyway. SOG will book us at another resort but right now they can't do it because they don't have a price list for 2008. Not sure why, the person I talked to just said to call back in a few weeks. I'm just worried if I wait too long we won't get a reservation at all! I'll just check out all the Mod resorts since travel time is the same. I'll have to get that book. I'm a Disney novice, obviously!
    -Krystal

DD 2/04
    DS 10/5/10

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're going in January, as well, and staying at Port Orleans French Quarter, partially because it's so much smaller than the other mods. Much easier with the 3 kiddos (DS & 2 nieces) that we'll have. As for the pools, I know some people who have gone swimming in January, and I know some years it's way too cold. Just depends. I was there a few years ago in late December, and could EASILY have gone swimming.
    -Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Huh. I thought I replied but the server must have eaten it. :)

But, yeah, what Lori said. There really is virtually no difference in the mods based on travel times.

Just FYI, the CBR pool will be undergoing renovation in January.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

colleenfs is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We stayed at POFQ last January, where we celebrated Julia's 5th birthday in full princess style. I was told that this was the smallest of the mods and would be much easier to get around with 2 small kids. It was perfect for our family of 4! We stayed in either building 4 or 5 (can't recall now) and we were very close to everything. Try to request a first floor room if you have a stroller.

~Colleen
    Julia, 1-10-02
    Emma, 7-27-05

“I do believe in fairies. I do, I do.�