vsmommy123 Guest

Default Any advice for San Diego, CA vacation?

I would like to plan a short (2 nights) trip to San Diego w/ my dd (19 mos) and husband; we are close enough to drive there. SD has a PLETHORA of hotels and I would like to know if anybody has any comments; good or bad. Also any comments on activities. I want to visit the SD Zoo, maybe the Wild Animal Park, any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!
    :-)

elaine_l Guest

Default RE: Any advice for San Diego, CA vacation?

You can have a great time just walking around Balboa Park - there is always a lot going on, and there are fountains and ponds to look at. The Zoo, is of course, an excellent choice.

Hotel Circle/Mission Valley is a convenient place to stay and there is a lot of competition. There are lots of hotels there for every budget.

There are also super tide pools at Pt. Loma.

Have fun!

vsmommy123 Guest

Thanks for info, I didn't know about the tide pools. Still haven't planned anything but now that everybody else is going back to school I'm looking forward to it!

Jil Guest

Hi we just went to San Diego in April with our then 20 month old son. It's a great town for kids. I'm a research hound so I really looked into it while planning our trip. We stayed at the Days Inn and Suites by SeaWorld/Airport. The reason was because it (and the Howard Johnson) were the only ones to offer free shuttles to and from the airport, zoo and SeaWorld. We saved a lot of time, money and aggravation from not having to rent a car, pay for parking and navigate through California traffic. They also offer a free breakfast with eggs, pancakes and muffins. We stayed 4 days. First we went to SeaPort Village which offers a lot of quaint shoppes and from there we were able to get on the San Diego Seals, which is one of those hyro-cars which will give you both a land and harbor tour. I really recommend it as a good bargain that gives you a good idea about the layout of the city. The next day we went to the Zoo. It's a good idea to do the bus tour first thing so you get an idea about the layout of the zoo, which is a very huge place. The third day we went to SeaWorld. They have an attraction called Dining with Shamu which will give you a buffet lunch tankside with the whales, which I highly recommend. Even though it's about $20 per person, it's your only opportunity to get up close to the killer whales. They literally come up to your table so it's a great photo opportunity. On the fourth day we rented a car and went to La Jolla and Mission Beach. It was beautiful but I don't think little kids would appreciate it. I've heard great things about LegoLand, but it was closed while we were there. Have fun on your trip!

vsmommy123 Guest

Thanks for the great detailed info! Sorry I didn't get an email to tell me about your post, I just happened to check back. Can't wait to go to SD!

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

check out a site called Trip Advisor! It has travelers reviews of all the area hotels... good and bad!!!! I has helped us tremendously! Good Luck and Enjoy San Diego!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

Joel Guest

I followed your advice on www.tripadvisor.com and found it to be great. The layout is a little confusing, but links to many reviews from different sources.

4S Ranch Guest

I love Coronado Beach (right by the Hotel Del Coronado) if you want to have a great beach experience. I think it's a good beach for little ones. The hotel is expensive but absolutely beautiful! You could just walk around the hotel and maybe have lunch there before/after the beach. There is a toll to go across the bridge from San Diego to Coronado Island, but I can't remember how much.

The hotel website has some pics of the beach...

www.hoteldel.com

Shelly

emilyr Guest

We've been to Coronado/SD several times before DS got here and the bridge toll was $1. If there are more than 1 person in the car, you can use the carpool lane on the far right. For some reason though I was thinking that they have dropped the toll. The bridge has been paid for for MANY years now! Don't quote me on that though. I was there at 4 1/2 months pregnant so have had a few things happen b/t now and then.

You could also take the ferry from Seaport Village to the island but I've only done that once and don't remember the cost.

We are heading back there with a 14 month old in August so this trip is going to be MUCH different than earlier ones. I am SO looking forward to it though!!!!!:) I LOVE San Diego/Coronado.

Emily

DUH... I just noticed the date of your post! Hope you had a good trip!!