Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Seattle Mommies/Daddies - looking for a hotel

I'm looking into attending a friend's wedding in September. I would be taking Arwyn and going alone. The church is 1/2 a block from the Fairmont Olympic Hotel. All the hotels listed by the couple are within walking distance from the church, but they are rather pricey. I would love to find a Best Western, Econolodge, or some such place, but I don't know anything about the neighborhoods in Seattle. In fact, I know nothing about Seattle. So I thought I'd throw some questions out there. Hopefully, answers will help me find a place to stay.

How long does it take to drive from the airport to the Fairmont Hotel? I'd be flying in Friday evening, and back out Sunday morning.

Are there any areas in between the two that would be safer for me to find a place to stay? Basically, I'd have two destinations, the church, and the Edgewater hotel, where the reception will be held.

Any suggestions or tips would be really appreciated. This is the first time I've flown to an unfamiliar place without Dh, and have to drive as well. TIA!
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default RE: Seattle Mommies/Daddies - looking for a hotel

Airport to fairmount Olympic Hotel is 15 miles -- 20 minutes in good traffic. Probably half an hour in normal traffic. Could be as much as 45 minutes or an hour if you get caught in baseball traffic.

You might go to Cheap Hotels in Seattle and try to get something in "Seattle-Downtown" that is within your price budget. Particularly look for something in the "Ride Free area" as there is a certain area within Seattle where you can ride the buses without paying for tickets (to encourage people not to bring their cars in)

For example Eighth Avenue Inn

thanks! this is a great site! here's another q.

some of the hotels listed are by the airport. What's the neighborhood like? The rate was really low compared to downtown.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

The drive from the airport will be about a half hour these days unless it is late at night and you can actually go the speed limit. We have a lot of traffic and while there are alternate routes into downtown, 1-5 is busy even on weekends. I would NOT stay at the airport except for possibly at the Red Lion Hotel or maybe Double Tree and I'm not sure about their room rates, but the other hotels/motels along there are icky. Strip clubs, prostitution, etc. I would be especially uneasy staying at the airport without my husband. But I'm a chicken!

I would first try Priceline for any of the nicer (four star) downtown hotels and see if you can come up with a bargain. Check out www.biddingfortravel.com to see what rates are coming up. The Sheraton went for $120 a night when said sold out on the Sheraton's site. I've had decent luck with Priceline for friends coming into town when hotels are pricey, the Sheraton usually for about half or less of rack rate. Even on weekends. Or try the Marriott on Lake Union, just north of downtown at the base of Queen Anne Hill. Or the Mediterranean Inn on Queen Anne Ave. just a couple of miles north of downtown. It is in an urban area but close to downtown and has a Starbucks in the building and is across from the Seattle Center.

Good luck and feel free to email me if you need any super specific info.

Kimberly

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Second the recommendation for the Mediterranean Inn--stayed there for a week before we moved here and it worked out very well. It's a somewhat extended stay kind of place, with microwaves and refrigerators in the room. It's right around the corner from a Safeway for last minute kid supplies, snacks etc. There's a starbucks in the lobby and a business center w/ computers. The rates were reasonable at the time. The parking is not free, but you can pay for parking underneath the hotel. I'm not sure of the exact distance to the Edgewater, you could map it online easily, but I don't think it's too far, and there should be bus lines going down the hill.
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

Thanks! Sounds like the airport area is just like LAX, sigh. But I will try the sites you mention. The thing is, I don't mind staying in a very modest hotel if it's just me, but traveling with an infant makes me afraid to stay in a dive surrounded by dives, y'know?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Check out the Silver Cloud too- there is a new on on Capitol Hill that is pretty easy to downtown.

Also in downtown, there is the Virginia Inn near the market that is a little cheaper than the places right by the Fairmont. It is pretty close to the Edgewater, which is right on the waterfront a hair north of the market and the piers.

I back Kimberly 100% when I say- DON'T stay at the airport. There is the ick factor AND a serious transportation/traffic issue. If you stay downtown or near downtown, you don't need a car- the bus and feet will do you just fine. But if you stay by the airport, you will need a car to get to the wedding and around. Traffic mysteriously blights us in the middle of the day on weekends now, so you can't often count on a 20 minute drive.

There are some cheaper places downtown like the Holiday Inn, a Travel Lodge (or similar) but they are on the edge of downtown and IME don't represent a huge savings over staying in the downtown core and booked through Hotwire or the like.

Have you tried Priceline or Hotwire? We saved a bundle on a very nice hotel through Hotwire.

****Rocking out while parenting my smart little munchkin Toby. Just trying to do good in the world, a little at a time. Words to live by: it is *never* the wrong time to do the right thing :)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think the hotels are that bad down at the airport area. The big negative is how far away from downtown it is when everything you want to do in town is downtown, the traffic in the area, and the fact that it involves DRIVING in downtown.

If you can avoid it, you want to NOT have a car in downtown Seattle. The city actively discourages driving.

I don't think the city is that bad with a car. It isn't like NY or SF. Heck, I can usually find a place to park on the street (though not for overnight)! Though it is much worse than ten years ago. I used to drive to the heart of the city and park on the street while doing an internship. Can't count on that ease of parking any longer.

Kimberly

Default Another Seattle traveler needs advice- TIA

Sorry to hijack, but I also need help finding a Seattle hotel. We plan to buy the CityPass and do the activities in it: Zoo, Argossy cruise, Science Center, Space Needle, etc. I plan on using Priceline to find a hotel but would really like ideas of what area to pick. We will have two kids with us, so safety is important. We will also have a car, but prefer not to have to drive too far in the city traffic. Thanks so much for you ideas and help.
    Michelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast