Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default RE: Another Seattle traveler needs advice- TIA

I like our downtown and would stay there and try to get a great deal on a nicer hotel. The Sheraton really does seem to reserve quite a few rooms for Priceline and the rates people get are so much less than rack it is actually affordable. If you are downtown, you can walk to the Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square, the waterfront and catch an Argosy cruise or take a ferry to Bainbridge Island to explore on foot, or the "foot ferry" to West Seattle and have fish and chips or picnic on the beach. You could even walk or hop a quick bus ride to Safeco Field for a Mariner's game if you like baseball. The main downtown area has nice retail and movie theaters as well as restaurants. It is also a bus or monorail ride away from the Seattle Center where there are rides, the Children's Museum, Seattle Children's Theater, and food court, not to mention the Space Needle. The zoo is about a 15 minute drive up Aurora (Hwy 99) from downtown. Very close. If you have a car, there are a lot of nice outdoor wading pools in different Seattle neighborhoods that might be fun depending on your children's ages.

If you stay on lower Queen Anne at the Mediterranean or similar, you will have a short bus ride to downtown or short car ride to park and then walk. But you will be able to walk right over to the Seattle Center for several of the activities you mentioned (Science Center, etc.).

Kimberly

Default RE: Another Seattle traveler needs advice- TIA

Thanks so much for the great information. It's very helpful. It's been several years since we've visited Seattle, but I remember what a great city it is. I'm off to Priceline to hopefully find a great deal.
    Michelle

Default Can't find a reasonably priced hotel for 8/7-8/11 Help Please!

Hi,
    I'm not having any luck finding a reasonably priced downtown hotel for Aug. 7-11. I was really hoping I'd use priceline to get the Sheraton, but so far they have denied bids up to $125 for a 4 star hotel in the downtown or Lake Union area. Someone on biddingfortravel said he was denied a bid of $180 for Aug. 10 & 11.

I was wondering if there is something going on in Seattle during these dates. Maybe the hotels are all filled up and I should just try to pick a different time to visit. My husband and I are both teachers so we have a pretty flexible summer. However, we are running out of time before school starts. Can one of you great Seattle mommies let me know if something special is happening during that time, or suggest another safe hotel to try. I would really like to stay under $130 a night if possible. TIA

This thread has been pretty helpful for my upcoming trip to Seattle & BC. It is a bit old though, so I'm looking for any updated info on hotels. We will only be in Seattle for one full day, so what should we absolutely not miss? We will be there at the end of July and my kids will be turn 2 and 4 that week.

Thanks!

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just a few suggestions: I would take the kids to Pike Place Market and take the ferry to Bainbridge Island with some buckets to pick blackberries! If you are a book loving family, go to the Elliott Bay Book Company down in Pioneer Square.
    HTH.

Jennifer

Default Reply to Swampnurse

Hi,
    Since you are only in Seattle for one full day and have pretty young kids (almost the age of mine!), I wouldn't try to do too much. The Bainbridge Island ferry ride is a nice ride and short (35 minutes each way) and they have a nice kids' museum within walking distance. That trip and a swing through the Pike Place Market on the way to the ferry would probably be enough for my kids. Or you could stay in Seattle and go to the Aquarium down on the waterfront. The aquarium is remodeled and my kids love it. It isn't huge so not totally overwhelming but they have touch pools, cute otters, etc. My 18 month old was soooo into it the last time we went. You could do the Pike Place Market too. And maybe even take a monorail ride to and from the Seattle Center (it is a short five minute trip) from downtown. The Seattle Center has a lots of space to run around, a cheesy amusement park that my just turned four year old LOVES since it has mini bumper cars and other rides he can go on alone. Nothing like Disney mind you, but he has fun. There is also a huge outdoor fountain that the kids can play in if it is hot and sunny.

Hope this helps. Have fun! I love Vancouver BC and Vancouver Island, btw!

Kimberly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2