Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default RE: Boston Mama's...

You can park at the seaport (prospect street exit of 93) for $10 all day everyday. The Silver line goes there. It is right next to the World Trade Center and ICA. It is a 7-10 minute walk from the National Park Visitors Center and Quincy Market. I park with DD every Friday and walk around downtown, take the T to Lord and Taylor etc. and them meet DH at his office near Government Center for dinner.

The Red line goes to MIT.

You can go the Aquarium, the Science Museum, walk the Freedom Trail, the Frog Pond, or tour the USS Constitution.

FYI - Not all T stops have handicapped access. Hard for a stroller. The green line is a particular nightmare.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

there is a bus that goes VERY close to the Waltham hotels Its the 70A and goes to the red line (blanking on the name atm) its kinda a long ride 30min? but its doable.

the newton green line is minutes away (except during rush hour) 3 exits on the highway and boom you're there and there is parking at that location that is reasonably priced.

There's also an express bus that goes from Waltham to downtown (I think) I know there's an express bus - not sure where it goes. There are several express busses that run from Watertown to downtown. From that area of Waltham to the Watertown depot is about 10-15min drive.

There's even a decent park/playground near the Waltham hotels. You prob have to drive (I dont think there are sidewalks and its a super busy road) but its technically walkign 'distance'.

dont stay in Woburn or Burlington. the traffic is a nightmare :-)

you can also check w/the hotel and see if they have a shuttle service to an area Tstation. many do I've heard.

mattytommymom Guest

Hi,
    I live in Newton, a suburb right outside of Boston, near Waltham. Just a heads-up - the D line of the Green T is under construction this summer and you have to take SLOW buses instead... I would advise you to stay where you could get to the Red line T which is much more efficient. Email with any questions!

>Hi,
    >I live in Newton, a suburb right outside of Boston, near
    >Waltham. Just a heads-up - the D line of the Green T is under
    >construction this summer and you have to take SLOW buses
    >instead... I would advise you to stay where you could get to
    >the Red line T which is much more efficient. Email with any
    >questions!

We had to go with Burlington, most other suite hotels were unavailable or did not have what we needed. I think we will make it work.

Wondering about trips into the City. Where should we go to park to take transit in from Burlington?

Also, we were going to take a scenic drive to the shore on the Sunday after we arrive. Should we instead drive into the City since I understand parking is cheaper then? Not sure what time the action starts there though...

Thanks! Great to have experts in the area we can bother with these questions!

parking in the city is expensive. 20-30+ a day. I'd only park there if you're oging to do something downtown. Aquarium, Fanuel hall, MFA etc. From Burlington, I'd either drive downtown or drive to Alewife & take the train. the thing about the train is you pay $5 to park, then $1.50 per person per trip so depending on how many in your party, it might just make sense to drive all the way and park & have the flexibility of the car. It also depends on traffic and traveling times. traffic can be NASTY

if you want to take a scenic drive to the shore, you dont want to go to the city. You should go to Glaucester or Ipswich- (north) Glaucester has a really cute 'downtown' its a nice drive, lots of little shops, good eating places if you like seafood. Maybe 34-45min from Burlington? and its compact so its ok to take kids there - not a TON of walking kwim?

sorry for spelling errors nak!

Sorry, I meant for that to be two different questions -- we do plan on spending a day or two in the City and will take the train in. Will use the Alewife station for that then.

For the trip to the North Shore I was just wondering if I should do that on a Sunday or a Monday...I"m not making a lot of sense, as I type this it even sounds dumb to me!

Thanks for the tips re: shore destinations!

hard call. On a Sunday, its going to be mobbed. on a Monday, way more relaxed and easier to park. but some of the street vendors prob wont be there and some of the shops might be closed (doubtful, but possible)

see what the weather is like and then decide :)

Thank you all who helped us out on this forum. We had a great trip despite some rainy days.

Gracias!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3