Thread: Blueprints

Scott Whitlow Guest

Default Blueprints

Looking for suggestions about how to obtain copies of the builder's copywrited blueprints. The builder will only allow the blueprints to be viewed in the model home and will not allow the blueprints to be reviewed at the job site. The city community development department stated they cannot provide copies of copywrited materials filed for the building permit. Any suggestions on how to obtain personal copies of the blueprints are appreciated.

On a related subject, I have made multiple requests to review the materials an specifications since December 15, 2001 and the salesman always has an excuse why the information is not available. Suggestions are appreciated on how to get the salesman to provide this information.

Thanks.

Scott Whitlow

Default RE: Blueprints

Hi Scott: I would talk to the HEAD of the building department there and tell them you need a copy. Remind them these are public documents---and you need one copy for personal use, not to attempt to make 100 copies.

This builder sounds like a winner; I would put down your foot on the specs and give them a date you need them by. Or else the deal is off.

Hope that helps,
    Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
    YOUR NEW HOUSE * BABY BARGAINS

1st Time Mommy Guest

Just curious-Why are you looking to obtain a copy? I work for a custom home builder and we have the same policy. I can give you a some of the many reasons why. 1st: We have a situation that one of our very unique plans is being built in the area off of our blueprints that were left behind by a customer that we allowed 1 set to never duplicate, but for their own records. The customer that left behind the blueprints is being sued by our architect firm for over a 1/2 million dollars-not the person duplicating the plans (they are being fined too), but the customer that had no intension of leaving behind the prints. They are property of the architect, although we were dissapointed that someone would duplicate our plan-an architect feels very strong and protective about their designs as they should. 2nd: Keep in mind that you hired your builder as a general contractor to build your home...purchasing a new home and relying on someone to build your home is a big deal...if you do not trust the builder, why have you paid him to build your dream home? Our builder has an outstanding rep and we tell people if for any reason they do not feel comfortable builing with us, building a long relationship is not a good idea. Our attorney reminds us that personalities don;t always mix, and if someone is doubting your integrity...than sometimes you are better off for the deals that you don't make than the deals that you do make. 3rd: Blueprints are a guide to building your home...they do not always give accurate information. For example, the print may show an ejector pit location...but your grade/city sewer lines come up under the home...therefore a hung sewer can not be used and therefore a ejector pump is not used as well. If they built your home by the print-they would be installing the sewer inccorectly and all of your sewer would not effectivly pump out of your home. Again, this is why you hired a contractor...to build your home and make decisions that are necessary by "the fly". If a builder gives out blueprints, they will constantly have questions coming from the homeowner that simply wastes time...and I am sure you have a delivery time that you are trying to meet. Let me ask you this, when you purchased your car, did you ask for the "blueprints" used to build your car? Ford certainly would not give out their copywrited "blueprints" to public. Remember that a home is one of the last man made products on this earth and you are fortunate enough to watch the process...and you hired the builder to manage it.

1st Time Mommy Guest

By the way, copywrited blue prints are NOT public property, and the head of the building department should be aware of this. If they are not, I would question the knowledge of your building department that is overlooking the safety and codes for building your new home.

The day that home builders build homes with as few defects as a new car (most new vehicles have so few problems, you can count them on one hand---and most are very minor), then there won't be a need for home buyers to ask for a copy of plans! Unfortunatley, most new home construction today is far from the quality level.

--
    Alan & Denise Fields, authors
    YOUR NEW HOUSE

lbess is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

I don't know why the original poster wanted blueprints, but I can give you one reason to want the plans. We would like to remodel the second floor of our house, and having the original plans would be immensely helpful. Of course, our builder is not answering our request, either.