Default termite treatment?

Any advice on whether and how we should treat our home for termites? One person told me the forms should be treated before the foundation is poured, but that the frame did not need to be treated. I was also told that I could go to a chemical supply store and do it myself (we are in the framing stage now; drywall will be starting soon.)

The builder does not do any termite treatment. Is this worth it, and if so, what's the best way to do it? Any environmental risks? We are in Austin, Texas on limestone with just a few inches of soil.

Thanks!

HADD_OK Guest

Default RE: termite treatment?

First check if there are any legal requirements for pre treatment for termites. Most states we've lived in pre treated for them, and I'm pretty sure it was required in at least one of those states if not more. I'm of a mind that "prevention is better than cure," so I'd treat, even if not required, especially if you're in an area where termites are common.

perryrip Guest

Default RE: termite treatment?

Nicola,

You should definitely have termite treatment of your home. That part of TX definitely has termite problems. What you can do is go buy a couple of gallons of borate solution and spray it on all wood touching soil or closest to the soil (rim plates, sills, floor joists, etc.

perryrip