midlandnewhome Guest

Default Construction theft

Hello,

Has anyone had an experience with construction theft? We had some flooring stolen from our new home site recently, and our insurance covered the loss minus the deductible. However, my wife and I are wondering whether the builder should be liable for some of the cost of the theft, since he was responsible for the locks and the subcontractors.

dawell0 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default RE: Construction theft

Sorry to hear about your theft. Unfortunately, most builders have some language in the contract to NOT be liable for that. Check carefully. We have Builder's Risk insurance to cover the cost. I don't think that we have a deductible. I think that the builder should be the one to cover the deductible, and because of their negligence the entire cost, but they have a way of weaseling out of everything in my opinion.

We haven't gotten far enough on our construction (before the lawsuit) to get anything stolen. We are hoping that someone steals the cracked up foundation walls that they poured almost 3 months ago. We have been in a legal battle since to try not to pay for these walls and to get out of the contract with the current builder. Unfortunately, since it passes code with lots of steel supports, they think that we should do the steel supports for 50% of the cost of the concrete rather than starting over. I'm sure though that once we get going, the builder will be back to steal things to get even with us, but since I cannot prove it. . .

MaryW Guest

Default RE: Construction theft

When building our dream home, we also got hit, if it wasn't nailed down, it was gone. We happen to be at a trade show a few weeks ago and found a company called L & R Logistics. They have a portable alarm system that protects the outside of the property. We had the system installed and within the first 48 hours we had two individuals arrested for stealing our hard earned supplies. If you want further information about them call 404-427-5322, they are realy nice people. Since the two arrest we have had no other problems.

Mary