MarieMW Guest

Default What about a book for decorating and furniture?

With all the interest in home improvement...ie "trading spaces," "design on a dime" shows, with the rising cost of housing (here in san diego, housing prices far outpaces the average and median incomes) I'm spending more money on making my home nicer. I am clueless about whether or not to hire a designer, and who would be reputable (can anyone hang a shingle and call themselves a designer?). How does one rate the furniture stores and outlets, ie is Thomasville better or worse than Ethan Allen and are they both overpriced? Can you bargain with the chain stores or not (the answer is yes but there is a fixed bottom price). Where are the best places to buy curtains, what paint brands are best, do we really need all the stuff they show on TV or where can we buy the best knick-knacks (Pier One or Ikea?). I guess what I'd like to see is a guide to some of this stuff... In other words, something like, "Ikea is a great furniture store for a new couple or a college student or a famliy with small accident prone children or anyone else in transition where price and modern styling is a factor and where you wouldn't mind throwing away the table and chairs in five years. It's not a place to find furniture you'd expect to last for generations." OR "Stickley is a greatly recognized brand name, with quality construction, but a high ticket price,...buy it only if you think your taste is furniture isn't going to change or if you have a VERY big wallet."

So far your tips in baby bargains have been invaluable. I hope you consider this as a possible new book series....thanks!
    Marie

PRINCESS_KIM Guest

Default RE: What about a book for decorating and furniture?

You mentioned about furniture...Coit Furniture Rentals and Fashion Furniture Rentals (www.fashionfurniture.com) often sell furniture at a fraction of the cost after having them in model homes, apartments, etc. Coit is in Clairemont and Fashion Furniture is in Miramesa area and have a huge outlet showroom.

chitrngirl Guest

Default RE: What about a book for decorating and furniture?

I'm looking to get our condo decorated. We live on Lake Michigan in Chicago. Does anyone know a decorator (or is it a designer that I need) that has a good reputation in this area. We need someone who is space conscious at a minimum.

Mona