sadiethegsp Guest

Default back into triathlons

Before this pregnancy (my first) I did triathlons to keep in shape, sticking mostly to sprints and olympic distances. My last was an olympic in Sept, one week after I found out I was pregnant (it was already paid for). I've had a hard time working out in any way during my pregnancy due to pretty bad abdominal cramps. Although I've done some swimming/stationary biking once or twice a week, I had to stop running at 6 mos and by now (8 months) all I do is walk. Baby is due mid-May and I'm hoping to be back in shape to do at least a sprint in mid August and possibly another olympic shortly after that. Am I being realistic?

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: back into triathlons

They say that if you were physically fit before you were pregnant that it is easier to get back into shape than those who were not. Also being as active as you can pregnant is definantly helpful to for to lose those lbs. I know I could have never achieved such after I was pregnant, but then I wasn't very active before I was pregnant. If you make it a priority it will happen as soon as your body will allow it to. But the advice your doc will probably will give you is don't work out until 6 weeks at least post baby. You need time to heal. I had a c-section and after 6 weeks for me I ran 1/4 mile and even that caused me to start bleeding again, so take your time to heal first, then HAVE AT IT!!!

-JulieL
    mama to Anthony 3/23/02

Magda Guest

It seems possible, but listen to your body and have reasonable goals. You're probably going to still be quite out of shape,so you won't be racing at your nornal level.

Elaine

kapow Guest

I do triathlons and fun runs as well. I'm due at the end of June, and I really want to do the big triathlon we have here in August. I think I'm going to sign up for the sprint distance and see if I'm ready for it. I figure that I can skip the swim (my weakest event) and take it easy on the run if necessary, and if I can't do it at all then someone else will gladly take my spot.

You're do in Mid-May so I would think you'd be in a great position to be ready for a sprint, if you have no complications and start walking as soon as you're able to after giving birth. The trickiest part might be finding someone to take care of your baby all day long.

I went to a running clinic not long ago and the organizer told a story of a woman who ran up until the week before she gave birth (two 3-milers per week), and was running two weeks after birth. This sounds a bit extreme to me, but I think it demonstrates the point that if you are in shape before getting pregnant and stay active at some level during pregnancy, you stand a good chance to be able to get back into it, again barring any complications.

HTH!

sadiethegsp Guest

Thanks for the advice. I've also heard about women who've only taken a week or two out of their training program to deliver, but agreed these were extreme cases.

I also have another question, that I will, of course, ask my OB about, but was looking for some kindred insight: Assuming I don't have any massive tears or bleeding, how soon should I be able to start open-water swimming? I hate training in pools, and in the summer love swimming in the ponds and lakes nearby, which are all relatively clean, but I am concerned about possible infections. Any thoughts or experiences?

kapow Guest

Oooo, good one. Plenty of athletes run with injuries and open/healing wounds such as blisters, although you can certainy cover up a heel blister better than you can an episiotomy :) I guess it depends on the quality of the water and how you're feeling. You could always skip the swim at the last minute and move on to the bike.

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Keep in mind that you will have vaginal bleeding for 3-8 weeks after delivery (like a period), and cannot use tampons during that time. So I assume that you will probably have to wait that long to start swimming. I can't imagine finding time to work out in the first 4-6 weeks anyway - unless you have a nanny and aren't breastfeeding!

And - yow! I can't imagine wanting to sit on a bike for quite a while! Those regions go through quite a strain during childbirth and need time to heal. Sitting on a soft surface hurts for a while after birth - sitting on a bike would be a killer!

Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009