Default I just discovered the elliptical trainer!

Well, the treadmill was causing problems for my shins and I felt horrible that I couldn't run without pain. The new Fitness magazine said it was a better workout than the tread anyway, so I tried it and I LOVED it! Besides the fact that I can burn over 200 calories in 15 minutes, it doesn't hurt my knees or shins in the least. I can't believe I never used one before, but I will be using one from now on. It was such a great workout - if you belong to a gym or have access to one of these machines, I highly recommend it.

Jennifer
    Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

JulieL is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default RE: I just discovered the elliptical trainer!

When I had a YMCA membership I was scared by this machine, but I finally got over it and jumped on. It's a little weird at first but a great workout for sure!

KimberleyDawn Guest

I've been avoiding THAT MACHINE at my gym and sticking with the bike and tm but maybe I'll give it a try when I go on Monday.
    Kim

Jennifer:

I loved the elliptical machine when I was at the gym. I liked it better than the stair stepper because its easier on the legs. Try going on it in a backwards motion for a better workout too!

Sonia
    Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03
    http://www.mcdyer.com/MartieSurasky.htm
    Sonia, who is eagerly awaiting the magic laundry fairy to visit me
    Mommy to M girls

celfsh Guest

Jenn,

I also loved the elliptical trainer at the gym--much lower impact than running on the treadmill and still a fabulous workout.

BTW, sounds like you've been working hard, girl! Just reading your posts make me tired! :) Hope you knock 'em dead at your reunion! Keep us posted!

celeste
    mom to olivia 9/25/02
    http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

lukkykatt Guest

I just discovered the elliptical trainer too, and it was right in my own home! DH got one about 6 months ago and I pointedly ignored it. For some reason, it looked intimidating to me. I just started using it about 2 weeks ago. It is a great way to sneak in a quick work out!

I was hoping that the calorie counter was accurate!

I asked my trainer about that - I just couldn't believe it would burn THAT many calories! Well, the ones at our gym also read your heartrrate, so as long as I stay in my 'target' zone, it's pretty accurate. Obviously, it doesn't take into account height and age, but it's good within 20 calories or so. That's good enough for me!

BTW - the reunion went very well. My classmates could not believe I just had a baby 4 months ago (I think they were being just a little nice, though...). I squeezed in a half-hour workout in the hotel fitness room, so I was quite proud of myself. I ate terribly though...

Jennifer
    Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03
    Jennifer
    Momma to Aidan 01/03
    New addition coming 10/08

Annette_C Guest

Jennifer,
    I always had a treadmill in the house but, after the last one died, I decided I needed a change. I just bought an elliptical trainer and can't wait to start using it (I didn't receive it yet).
    I'm hoping this will be the thing to blast the 10 extra lbs of souvenir from my pregnancy!
    Annette
    SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02